A wonky spirit level?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 15th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A wonky spirit level?!

I wanted a Sachtler System 6 SB SL MCF Tripod but couldn't find anyone in the UK with one in stock. A salesman convinced me that he had a tripod that was almost identical but cheaper and in stock. ( a grey import I've now realised)

Still, the tripod arrived and everything looked good. I balanced the camera, got the bubble in the centre, turned on my Z1 and everthing in the viewfinder has got a slight tilt, as if the bubbles not centred properly. tested and tested it but still the same.

can anyone think of something i may have missed before i send it back? Never heard of a dodgy spirit level before.

cheers
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Trustee

If the spirit level is not actually level, the bubble will slide, of course. I don't know that tripod so I can't offer specifics, but maybe it is possible to fiddle with it so you can manually align the level?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

what do you mean by 'slide'? its just that when i turn the head i noticed its goes signficantly off centre ie the bubble slides off centre. again that seemed odd.
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Are you talking about the bubble level on the tripod or the head? You really should be leveling to the bubble level on the head and not the tripod. If you are and the head is still unlevel, then there is something wrong with the level on the head and nothing wrong with the tripod.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Trustee

check the plate is attached properly. Check the head too to see if there is anything uneven. A spirit level bubble cannot lie...unless of course the earth's gravitational pull is shifting and we are all going to die!
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree about gravity!

I have the plate that came with the tripod attached directly to my camera. The instructions refer to an option of attaching the tripod plate to a seperate camera plate and then attaching both to the camera.

But a camera plate never came with the tripod and I've only seen them on dsr high end cameras anyway rather than a minidv z1.

Still, could this be the problem? The plate fits perfectly to my Z1.
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads