Why do people use tripod legs with spreaders? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Can you point me at a twin-tube tripod of comparable quality and price?

I hadn't given the twin tube design much thought but, as I poke around through theads to see pix of what people are using, I see that they are more common than I originally thought.

I was hoping to stay in the same range as the Miller CF legs and head, about $1,500. Sticks don't have to be same maker as head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
No, there is no spreader option for the Miller Solo's.

People complain about the Solo's because, good tho' they are, they're simply incapable of being as rigid as the conventional twin tube design (of comparble quality) and are thus more susceptable to movement.

Whether a spreader would help is a moot point.

As for getting the legs the same length quickly, with the upgrade to a half ball head the issue is a bit of a dead duck, no matter what length the individual legs (within reason, of course) the half ball will allow the head to be leveled.

If anything, a mid level spreader slows things down as it's yet one more thing that needs to be fiddled with before you can start shooting, not much maybe, but more nevertheless.

Mid level spreaders do, however, significantly aid rigidity and are thus a GOOD THING.

CS
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #17
Inner Circle

It ain't necessarily so........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
Sticks don't have to be same maker as head.
There are some combinations out there with a big (and expensive) "gotcha" attached for the unwary, but more of that later.

Is that $1500 just for the sticks or combined sticks/ head?

Have you decided on a head?

What are you intending to park on it/ them, size and weight wise?

Three years time?

How tall are you?

What style/ type of shooting do you do?

That should do for the moment.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
If anything, a mid level spreader slows things down as it's yet one more thing that needs to be fiddled with before you can start shooting, not much maybe, but more nevertheless.
Chris, I've never had an issue with QUALITY (read: EXPENSIVE) mid spreaders like the ones on Sachtler Video 20 tripods. The notched ones that sometimes appear on older, cheaper Millers? I agree.

When I shot news, most of our tripods had mid-spreaders, which easily and quickly allowed setup on level ground OR on steps. The key is to keep the adjustment screws on the mid-spreader tight so they don't "flare" out.

The reason I'm adamant about spreaders, mid or bottom, is I've seen too much "flex" outward of tripods without spreaders if one puts too much downward pressure on the tripod. This adversely affects the "level" of the head.
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
How tall are you?
Thank you. The very first spec I look at on a tripod is max height. THEN I look at capacity. I have seen so many tripods that don't even reach 6 feet, which is ludicrous if you ever expect to do a standing interview with anyone over 5'8" or so. BTW, I'm 6'3".
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Major Player

Yes, I'd like to stay under $1500 for all. I'm not opposed to a hybrid purchase of used legs + new head or everything used. No I haven't decided on a head, though the Sachtler FSB 6 head is nice but that pretty much crushes the budget!

This is my "three years time" acquisition and, as such, I may be asking too much of one set-up. What I roll with now is a miniscule HV20. In the next few weeks, I'll be deciding whether to upgrade to an EX-1 or add a Letus adapter (and all the do-dads that go with it) to the HV-20. Two very different options. In the end I want both the EX-1 and Letus but cannot acquire both simultaneously. So the max load is the EX-1 with rods, adapter and such. I'd rather not purchase separate tripods.

I don't see myself going larger than an EX-1, in terms of camera size.

I'm 6 foot 2 inches. Yes, I know to check max heights! Got screwed on a stills tripod when I was younger by not checking.

Most of my shooting is: pull it out of my car, set it up indoors and shoot. I shoot educational material in a hospital setting. Sometimes on and off the tripod to be mobile, so having a nice plate system is meaningful to me. I really don't care for the plates on the low-end Bogen heads.

Bob

Quote:
There are some combinations out there with a big (and expensive) "gotcha" attached for the unwary, but more of that later.

Is that $1500 just for the sticks or combined sticks/ head?

Have you decided on a head?

What are you intending to park on it/ them, size and weight wise?

Three years time?

How tall are you?

What style/ type of shooting do you do?

That should do for the moment.

CS
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, going for best bang per buck..........

I suppose checking on the usual suspects (DVinfo Trading Post, e - bay et al) would be a good way to start.

Also B&H second hand, not usually a huge selection but at least it's guaranteed.

I'm not really up there with Sachtler priceing, could you get a decent setup S/H for $1500?

CS
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #22
Major Player

I think this is the least expensive B&H sells and it goes to 5ft 2, though I heard the leg locks are a little wonky.

Quote:
I suppose checking on the usual suspects (DVinfo Trading Post, e - bay et al) would be a good way to start.

Also B&H second hand, not usually a huge selection but at least it's guaranteed.

I'm not really up there with Sachtler priceing, could you get a decent setup S/H for $1500?

CS
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I think...........

you may have left out a link there Bob.

Could it have been to something like this:

Sachtler | 0475 FSB-6 Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 0475 | B&H

CS
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #24
Major Player

DOH! I had the link for the Aluminum version copied but must have inserted somewhere else? Shouldn't participate in web forums while truing to write research proposal!

Yes, that's it. People seem to dislike the leg locks and I get the sense---based on the price of the head alone at $1250-- that the legs are probably not the star of the kit.
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #25
Inner Circle

This looks tasty..........

Cartoni | F102 Focus Aluminum Tripod System | F102 | B&H Photo

That continuously variable counterbalance is worth the money!

CS
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Cartoni | F102 Focus Aluminum Tripod System | F102 | B&H Photo

That continuously variable counterbalance is worth the money!

CS
Sexy at the price but only 5' tall...
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Seems to be................

an awefull lot of midget videographers out there judgeing from the line up I'm seeing on B&H.

Herein lies the rub, can he get the height, the quality of construction and the decent head for that budget?

You got any suggestions Shaun?

Haven't found squat second hand anywhere obvious.

CS
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #28
Major Player

Yes, I've poked around in the used threads. Not much.

Quote:
an awefull lot of midget videographers out there judgeing from the line up I'm seeing on B&H.

Herein lies the rub, can he get the height, the quality of construction and the decent head for that budget?

You got any suggestions Shaun?

Haven't found squat second hand anywhere obvious.

CS
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I'm using Manfrotto 501 heads on 525 MVBII legs (2 sets) until my next purchase, a Sachtler that will likely cost me $5k. Sorry.

I find Vinten's and Miller's too light for my needs. The Manfrotto's are hold-overs from my PD150 days and I'm making them work until budget permits.
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #30

Admittedly, my first two Manfrotto 50x tripods have mid-level spreaders. But, my new Miller DS20 is beyond cool. With single tube graphite legs, it's more rigid than either of my Manfrotto's. I can get set up 14 inches from the ground, a whole new perspective from down here. And no spreaders.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads