Libec LS-38? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks for the price updates Anthony. Please post your opinions of the tripod once you can try it out, especially in light of Greg's comments.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
Wade, I don't have it with me right now, but I believe that it came with just one screw.
I have mine now. You're right. One screw. It fit's the A1 so that's 1/4" right? Strange thing is that I read on Libec's European website that it comes with a 3/8" screw. I was thinking I might have to buy the Canon tripod adapter. I wish I could offer some professional feedback but this is my first venture into this level of equipment. BTW, I got the midlevel spreader version. I thought it would be some sort of strap or rubber device, but it's a telescoping aluminum leg setup with a center hub that locks into two positions marked as 45 and 180 degrees. It also comes with these huge rubber feet that snap on and are secured with a beefy rubber strap. I'm impressed with it but I would have probably been impressed with less. ;)
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Correction. I noticed the 3/8" screw stored in the head. So... it comes with both.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #19
Major Player

Well, I figure I'll join the party here. My LS-22 just shipped in from B&H today. Really terrific tripod, as smooth as any of the tripods I've used, holds a ton of weight considering the price, and is really incredibly stable. The only qualm I have with it would be the non-sliding QR plate, but a Manfrotto plate solved that quick enough.

So, add me on to the list of happy Libec customers!
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #20
Contributor

I got the LS22 also. It's pretty lightweight (compared to what I normally use) but that's what I wanted--small and light. It collapses down quite small and weighs practically nothing. The movement is nice and smooth, but unlike an expensive head you have to watch what you're doing at the end of a pan or tilt. You can't just let go of the handle as you do on more expensive heads. If you do, it moves back just a bit. But with care it does the job fine; just what I wanted. I got the Canon tripod adapter plate with the camera, and it's easy to balance.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #21
New Boot

I looked at the Libec's (I don't remember which models) and ended up purchasing the Cartoni F101 system with the fluid head. I like the head but will pay the price in weight (I'm looking at the bag across the room and remembering how heavy it is). Biil has a good point about the weight consideration - I didn't give that the kind of attention I probably should have; time will tell.
Larry Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #22
Contributor

In my working life I schlep around an O'Connor 50 most of the time; for personal fun documentary stuff I'm into smaller and lighter, which is why I got the XH A1 in the first place. So I extended that to the tripod too. Bigger and heavier is always better in a tripod, but at the price of size and weight.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #23
Major Player

Took some footage outdoors at the weekend, using my new LS-38. Very sturdy set of legs. The head was OK, not sure I'd recommend it on a 20x zoom shot, but overall it was fine.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
Took some footage outdoors at the weekend, using my new LS-38. Very sturdy set of legs. The head was OK, not sure I'd recommend it on a 20x zoom shot, but overall it was fine.
Are the problems on a 20x zoom shot related to:

1. smoothness of a pan

2. stiction on the start of a pan or tilt

3. bounce, backlash, or rebound on the end of a pan or tilt

My Canon A1 is vexing to me. I tried it on a larger Miller DS-20 head (not ideal) and notice problem #3 popping up repeatedly. The only way to solve this was to wait 3 seconds before removing my hand from the pan bar while the head settled into equilibrium. Or, on a pan, you can place your left hand on the lower section of the head, where the bubble level is. This damps rebound in the horizontal plane, for some reason. Aaargh ... finding a head that works smoothly with the Canon A1 is frustrating. I was about to order a Libec LS-38M kit, but I'm having my doubts.
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM   #25
Major Player

I know on my LS-22, the only really significant instability I can find is from when I unlock the tilt lock during the shot, and also the fact that I'm not great in terms of panning and tilting. I know that it's no Sachtler, but it works plenty well, at least for me.

I showed the head and sticks to my dad, and the one big thing that he came up with was quite simply that that head was a lot closer to his old Sachtler that he used to use than he would have guessed. Sure, it's not quite 100% like the Sachtler is, but it's perfect for smaller cameras and smaller budgets. (at least from my experience)

Again, your experience may vary here, and it may or not be great for your camera, but I know that I consistently get really, really good video at 12x+.
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:31 PM   #26
Major Player

Honestly though, in this price-range, the nearest Sactlers are....not exactly worth their price. Personally, I wouldn't get a sachtler smaller than the 12 for quality concerns. The smaller Vintens are amazing, as are the milelrs (DS-25 and up). But the 5-9lb cameras have the predicament that everyone here has mentioned. They're small, relatively inexpensive, but quality supports are...lacking.

Having just discovered the Libec's, I'm pretty impressed to say the least. For the price, I have certainly not found better. Getting the 38 is a big step above the 22, and a HUGE leap above any of the manfrottos. While it offers basically no adjustment, the motion is extremely good and covers most of what you could want to do on a tripod.

Bottom line: If you're looking into the 38, you'll be very happy. It's not a DS-25, a vision 3,8, or 11, or a DV-12sb.... but if you go in knowing that, you should have no problems. Just like DV or HDV, if you play within the limitations, you can achieve incredible results.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM   #27
Major Player

Very good way of summing up what I was trying to say Jason. Thanks.

The Libecs really are pretty incredible for the price, eh? Certainly much better than the Manfrottos I've tried. Sure, it's no Vinten Vision 10 (what I borrowed for use on my shoots before I got the Libec), but for the price, and for a 6 pound camera, it's perfect. And I'm sure the 38 is a big step up, but alas, the 22 works just fine, and is probably better for smaller cameras, just because of portability and weight.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:10 AM   #28
Trustee

I went on location with my new LS-37 (the 38's predecessor) and my Sony VX2100 at the weekend, to shoot some Santa steam trains. It's my first 'proper' tripod, and it was a baptism of fire - or rather ice, as the temperature never rose above freezing point all weekend!

Results? I'm very pleased. I saved some money by getting the LS-37 at a better price. The two-stage legs of the LS-38 would be more portable I'm sure. I'm not sure if I'd get any benefit from the sliding plate on the LS-38 head either. I'm not sure if the LS-38 is lighter than the LS-37 either. I was certainly able to sling the tripod over my shoulder and walk for the best part of a mile with no real pain.

Panning and tilting is very smooth in general, especially in use with my Bebob Zoe Lanc controller for start/stop/zoom etc. At full zoom it can get a bit shaky, though that may be more down to my inexperience and the fact that I couldn't stop shivering in the cold!

Panning at full zoom wasn't as smooth as I would have liked as well, I tried to track a little fishing boat out in the sea and I had a bit of difficulty. I think a lot of it is down to practice though, rather than shortcomings of the tripod.

I've come from a very low-end Velbon tripod, so I might just be too easily pleased!

Last edited by Mike Beckett; December 22nd, 2006 at 04:59 AM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:57 AM   #29
Tourist

I've been looking into the LS-38 and feel enough people are pretty happy with it, and I'll try it. I just ordered the head, ($350).
I'm going with the Miller Solo Carbon Fiber Sticks #1501 ($600). I've ready so many extremely positive posts about them, I couldn't resist. Supposedly great for run-and-gun, and nature shooting.
A factory rep from Libex said they'll mate just fine - both are 75mm ball and claw, but I'll feel a lot better when they arrive, and do indeed play nicely with each other. I'll post my 2 cents on the combo then.
Rick Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Hi,

I am thinking to get either the LS-22 or LS-38. I use a DVX100A and a GS500. After reading the above posts, I got the impression that LS-38 is a new design which can pan and tilt better than the LS-22. Is that right?

The LS-38 is for 4-8kg load. What would happen if I mount my DVX100A (2.5 kg) or GS500 (0.7kg) on it? Would I need to apply a lot of force to tilt to overcome the "over" counterbalance?

LS-22 is cheaper than any Manfrotto 503 combo. However, I got the impression that the LS-22 head is way better than 503. Anyone tried both??

Thanks in advance!
Paul Leung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads