503 levelling - margin of error in bubble? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 5th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Major Player

503 levelling - margin of error in bubble?

So I went to rehersal for a school show I am going to tape tomorrow..levelled the 503, but the shot didnt' look level to the room (tripod hadn't moved and still showed as level)... so I adjusted the level so that the top of the stage was parallel to the top of my shot, e.g. my camera was level to the stage, ceiling, etc..

The building feels level to me, so it's not that the building itself is off. (ever go into a building that's not level ..your body can tell).

After I made my adjustment, the bubble was on the edge of the silk screen circle on the level, so still within what I would think the tripod would call level, but not nice and centered as I had initially set it up.

But, the whole thing was odd. Has this ever happened to anyone else? (assume so).

I feel like I should shoot it level to the stage..otherwise the whole thing will seem to be off by a degree or so..not the end of the world, but would feel funny the entire time and I don't think it would look good.

I assume I should trust what I am seeing more than the bubble, or is what I'm seeing likely to be off and I should not adjust? (my eyes & balance are normal).

thanks....
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would personally line up the bottom of the image to be parallel to the stage, and ignore the bubble. You can always rest a level on the top of your tripod head and check the bubble. But I think what the camera sees as level is king.

Maybe the school floor is slightly sloped for efficient cleaning.

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern
I adjusted the level so that the top of the stage was parallel to the top of my shot
Unless you're perfectly square to the stage, the top (I'm assuming you mean a horizontal line) won't quite be horizontal on camera. Vertical lines (pointing straight up) should line up with the side of your frame, though.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Use the cross hairs in the view finder to level it up.
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Major Player

good points, thanks & appreciate it. maybe not being square to the stage caused me to see the shot as not level.. will do what you guys say & all should be fine..thanks for the posts.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads