DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   tripod/head for V1E (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/82239-tripod-head-v1e.html)

Piotr Wozniacki December 21st, 2006 09:36 AM

tripod/head for V1E

After having purchased my V1E, I'm on the budget:). I was planning to buy the Manfrotto 503/525 solution, but am being tempted by the much cheaper Sony VCT-870RM. I have a great bargain available on that from my local dealer. Please tell me - in terms of stability and panning/tilting smoothness, is it much worse than the Manfrottto 503/525? Or is it good enough for a camera like the V1E?

Chris, I confess I've put a similar message in the other subforum,but nobody seems to pay attention - please feel free to cancel that other one, if you like. Sorry for that.

Chris Hurd December 21st, 2006 09:53 AM

Moved from Sony V1 to Tripod Sticks & Heads.

Piotr, I'm sorry that you're not yet getting the response that you're looking for, but we're doing our best to encourage everyone to use *all* of the various message boards at DV Info Net. In other words, a V1 owner should read not only the V1 forum but also Support Your Local Camera / Tripod Sticks & Heads, Photon Management, Now Hear This, etc.

Meanwhile, you should browse the Tripod Sticks and Heads forum for other discussions about similar-size camcorders such as the Sony HVR-Z1, the Canon XH A1, etc. Look for reports of tripod combinations that work well with those camcorders. Since all of these camcorders are generally the same size and weight, a tripod that is appropriate for one will also be appropriate for the other. Hope this helps,

Brian Standing December 21st, 2006 11:42 AM

Miller SOLO carbon fiber with DS10 head.

It's perfect for my PD-150, so should be equally so for the V1 (which is just a tad lighter). No better tripod out there.

'nuff said.

Piotr Wozniacki December 21st, 2006 03:33 PM

Anybody actually uses the Sony VCT-870RM?!!

Brian Standing December 21st, 2006 04:16 PM

I don't know the Sony model, but previous Sony tripods I've looked at have been pretty flimsy. I've had several Bogens, and have eventually cursed them all, as they stick, fall apart, shake or otherwise fail me in unpredictable ways.

Like you, I resisted for a long time, and finally broke down and got the best tripod I could afford -- the Miller Solo I mentioned before. Holy cats! What a difference is has made in my shooting! First off, because it's light, compact and easy to carry strapped to my back, I'm more likely to take it with me. A tripod does you no good if you leave it at home. Secondly, you have no idea how much easier it is to do pans and tilts with a quality fluid head -- the difference is like night and day. Thirdly, my old tripods used to visibly shake when a truck went by, or the wind came up suddenly -- these puppies are rock solid, all the time. Finally, I know this tripod will never, ever become obsolete... can't say that about your brand new V1e!

I'd argue your tripod is probably the most important investment you can make in your equipment -- don't skimp! I know, I know, it's hard to fork out over a grand for three sticks with no electronics in it, but this is one area where you
really, really get what you pay for.

If you really can't afford a new, professional tripod, look on E-Bay (or the DVInfo Classifieds) for a vintage Miller fluid head and a set of wooden legs. With some digging, you should be able to find one of these in decent condition for under $250. These things are built like tanks and fairly heavy, but still provide decent pans. I used one of these museum pieces for a while until I got a gig that paid me enough to get a new one. I really enjoyed the strange looks I got when people saw my PD-150 perched on top of these classic 16mm-style pegs.