DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Sachter DV 2 II vs Vinten Pro 6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/83206-sachter-dv-2-ii-vs-vinten-pro-6-a.html)

Adrian Paul Spiteri January 5th, 2007 07:32 AM

Sachter DV 2 II vs Vinten Pro 6

1. Which tripod is better overall?

2. The Sachtler DV 2 II system comes with a floor spreader or a mid-level spreader?

On the sachtler site its a floor spreader :
http://www.sachtler.com/prod.asp?lid...425C5C5C7D5F55

On the bhphoto site its a mid-level spreader : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Dan Brockett January 5th, 2007 09:56 AM

I have not used the DV II but I do have a DV-6SB. When I compared the Sachtler to the Vinten, I preferred the feel of the Sachtler. Your mileage may vary. The Vinten is a good piece of gear, you won't go wrong with either one although aren't the lower end Vintens just re-labeled Bogens or is that rumor not true?

If they are re-labeled Bogens, hands-down get the Sachtler, no comparison there!

Dan

Adrian Paul Spiteri January 5th, 2007 11:25 AM

I read that the Vinten pro 5 is a bogen so this assumption might be true.

I think the Sachtlers are better but I am not sure whether the DV 2 II has a mid-level or floor spreader.

Tom Wills January 5th, 2007 01:58 PM

The Vinten Vision series is the one that in my opinion is truly worthy of the Vinten name. The Pro series have identical specs and weight capacities and designs to the Manfrotto 501 and 516. (Vinten has been bought up by Manfrotto, so it'd make sense that Vinten would borrow from Manfrotto when creating low-cost gear.) I'm sure the Vinten Protouch would do the job, but I'm not sure that it's a Sachtler competitor. I'd be more comparing the Vinten Vision 3 to the Sachtler.

Adrian Paul Spiteri January 5th, 2007 06:26 PM

The price difference between the vision 3 and the sachtler DV 2 II is quite large.
The price between between the sachtler DV 2 II and the pro 6 id of $50.

If the quality of the sachtler compares to that of the vision 3 than the sachtler is better than the Vinten in this case.

Tom Wills January 5th, 2007 07:59 PM

Well, here's the basics of it. The Vinten Vision 3 is comparible in price, and comparible in payload capacity than the Sachtler DV6, which is obviously a few steps up from the DV2. So, while now we're comparing 2 proper heads (the DV2 and the Vision 3), it's not an even competition. The Sachtlers do have DV weight rigs, whereas the Vintens start at something that can support a small ENG camera. They're very different tripods, but sitll, a much better comparison in terms of quality than the Protouch. The price difference is significant, but so is the difference in tripod payload capacity. If the $800 difference is really incredibly significant to you, than most probably the Sachtler will be fine, as Vinten doesn't have any really terrific options in that price/weight range.

Maybe someone other than me can chime in here, as I'm not entirely sure that I'm explaining it right.

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 01:42 AM

Not a fan of the DV2, or DV4, the smaller legs are also a bit spindley. The DV6 is where things get better. I think the Vision 3 is a better head.

Which camera? What is it's size and weight? If it's a DVX, then the DV4 might be okay.

Go to the Sachtler site and check out their line, same with other manufacturers: Cartoni, Gitzo, O'Connor, Miller, Panther. See what's out there. Compare the different tripods, keeping in mind the camera that you will be using. Also keep in mind the future purchase and/or rental of a larger camera.

It's worth spending the exra money on a quality head, because a lower quality head won't be as smooth, or as durable. A more robust head and sticks will be smoother and steadier, making the image smoother and steadier. These qualities are most noticable when you are shooting with a long telephoto lens. Flaws in mechanical quality and your abilities as an operator show up when you are on the long end of the zoom.

I prefer a floor spreader, because I can put a sandbag(s) on it and that helps stabilize the whole thing, even on bumpy ground.

The Protouch range are Bogen, and I don't really like the bogen heads.

The Vitec Group owns most of the tripod mfrs, incl O'Connor, Sachtler, Vinten and Bogen/Manfrotto. They own other mfrs, of other products, Kata, Petrol, Clear-Com, Anton Bauer...

O'Connor are probably the best heads, but are mostly for ENG/EFP and film cameras. Arri and Panavision make Geared heads which are best. Turning wheels allow you tilt and pan. You can get a better feel for how many turns a particular camera move's pans and tilts are needed, so it's more repeatable/predictable. The hard part is to have each hand doing something different. If you play drums, or piano, it's easier.

Adrian Paul Spiteri January 7th, 2007 03:42 AM

Thanks Mark
The DV 6 and vision 3 are beyond my budget. My choice is between the DV 2 II and the pro 6. Which one has the best head and legs. The camera I am using is the XH A1.

You seem to have used the DV 2, does it come with a floor or mid-level spreader?

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 12:57 PM

The ENG 75/2 takes a floor spreader and it looks like there is a mid spreader kit for it too. The floor spreader is probably cheaper.

Here's the Sachtler page

The Vinten page

The Protouch 6 has a both spreader types as well. Again, the floor spreader is probably cheaper.

Looking online at the two, it's a toss up.

I used either the DV2, or the 4, I can't remember, but I wasn't impressed with it. It seemed too small, even for a DVX.

I haven't used the Protouch 6, so I can't say how it feels, or handles. The Protouch has a bigger payload, 13lbs, and has an illuminated bubble level. I'm a Vinten user, so I'm biased. The larger Sachtler heads are great, the Video 18, or 20, but those are for larger cams. Not impressed with Sachtler's DV line.

The Vinten has continuously variable drag, while the Sachtler is stepped, 1 and 0. I'm not sure, but I would assume that the Vinten has a wider range of drag, since it has to accomodate a wider range of camera weights. The Protouch seems a little bigger and beefier and according to the brochure, optimised for 5.5 lbs payload.

Check out the two websites and look at the info. If you can, test both.

Jaron Berman January 7th, 2007 03:57 PM

If that's your budget (not enough for the vision 3), the only place I'd look would be the libec Ls-38. IMHO the only setup worth considering under the vision 3. I agree that the Sachtler DV stuff is... uh.... "overpriced..." and sub-par.

Note: I've been plugging this tripod a lot lately, but I have no motivation other than this - it works EXTREMELY well for the price, better than anything even close...and I think anyone in the market for something cheap should at the very least consider it...if not get it outright. It's much simpler and more bare-bones than some competitors - no variable drag - but in terms of smoothness and build quality, nobody touches it for less than $1000 more.

Dan Brockett January 7th, 2007 04:10 PM

Libec

Hi:

If I was on a tight budget or cheap, I would get the Libec. I checked it out, there is nothing else in it's price range that is as good.

Overpriced and subpar? Jaron, I disagree with your take on DV Sachtlers, I own the the DV-6SB paired to the Miller Solo DV legs it is one of my favorite pieces of gear that I have owned. I used to own a Sachtler Video 18 with my Betacam way back when and this setup is just like a smaller, more versatile and lighter version of the same. OTOH, I do agree that it's only at the DV-6SB level and above that I am enthusiastic about the Sachtlers.

The DV 2 and DV 4 leave me a little unimpressed although they still are pretty good quality, just a little too small and expensive for what they are. To me, the shortcoming of all of the cheap "real" tripods are the legs. The stock legs of all of the manufacturers are garbage, Sachtler and Vinten included, that's why I sprung the extra $800.00 for the carbon Miller legs. Spreaders are a PITA and I avoid them at all cost and you cannot beat being able to go from 8" to 63" in the same set of legs. I bought a separate set of Losmandy LWT legs for my jib so I don't nead a super heavy duty set of legs for my cameras. Why haul around all of that weight when you don't need to? That was the only thing I hated about my Video 18 head and Sachtler legs, too heavy! But then again, back in the day, we were all lugging 23lb Betacams around so it was all relative.

Just my .02 on this,

Dan

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 04:19 PM

Hey Jaron, Wazzup?

I had thought about the Libec, but was too lazy to look up their info. Their stuff seems to look pretty good.

Peter Moretti March 22nd, 2007 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 602561)
Hi:

If I was on a tight budget or cheap, I would get the Libec. I checked it out, there is nothing else in it's price range that is as good.

Overpriced and subpar? Jaron, I disagree with your take on DV Sachtlers, I own the the DV-6SB paired to the Miller Solo DV legs it is one of my favorite pieces of gear that I have owned. I used to own a Sachtler Video 18 with my Betacam way back when and this setup is just like a smaller, more versatile and lighter version of the same. OTOH, I do agree that it's only at the DV-6SB level and above that I am enthusiastic about the Sachtlers.

Dan what camera are you using that set up with? I'm looking for a good pairing for a Canon XH-A1. Sounds like it might be the way to go. Also considering the Vinten Vision 3. Any insight is much appreciated. THANKS MUCH.