Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #151
Major Player

you can't get a Vinten for $700?

their main office is in Milton Keynes - maybe they have some scratch and dent?
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #152
New Boot

Unfortunately, a vinten system will cost me well over a thousand pounds, much as I'd like one.
Shaun Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #153
Regular Crew

get an old Miller system or O'Connor from ebay. For a Miller fluid head system (legs+head) the price will be less than $600 but the quality will match those that are $5,000+ (the O'connor will run you around 1,000 but the quality matches new systems that cost $8,000+)
Alex Plank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #154
Major Player

wow - they have gone up by $500-$800 since I bought mine 5-6 years ago.

The weak dollar I guess
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #155
Wrangler

Vinten Vision 3! Great place to start looking.
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #156
Contributor

I have a Libec 38, which cost less than $600 in the U.S. Since it's a British company (although the tripod is, of course, made in an oriental country) you might be able to get one cheaper there. It seems to be the only under-$1K (USD) system that doesn't give you the bounceback at the end of a pan. Before getting the 38 I bought a Libec 22 because I wanted the lightest tripod for a specific purpose. It was OK, but I felt the camera with the Canon TA100 plate I use was overweighted a bit. It had the bounceback but was controllable with care. I sold it for the bigger and heavier and therefore better Libec 38.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #157
Major Player

I asked a very similar question in this thread over on the Tripod forum. I was told the LS-38 is a great tripod, but it's designed for a heavier camera than the XH-A1, and as such, tilting the camera is more work than it should be. Others have posted in the thread that they don't have any problems whatsoever with their XH-A1 and Libec LS-38.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #158
Regular Crew

I have the ls-38, I've read somewhere that it's a true fluid head.. not sure if that's true though. Anyways it's really great but very simple in features. I don't have an A1 but a friend tried his on the tripod and it was a little too light for it. However I think if you add some extras, like mattebox of follow focus, it should be just right.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #159
New Boot

Thanks very much. I'll have a look at the libec. Any other suggestions, manfrotto etc?
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #160
Regular Crew

For info - the best price I've seen in the UK for the LS-38 is GPB329 + 10 shipping.

The dealer isn't a forum sponsor, so if you'd like further info, PM me
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #161
Major Player

Tripod Legs ?

I have this Bogen Kit
503 HDV Head / 351MVB2 Legs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Legs_with.html

And also have a 501 Head for the Gitzo Monopod.

I have 2 events coming up in the next month where I will need more than 60 mins of tape, so will have two XH-A1's and start the second a few minutes before I change tape in the first. I have a couple more tripods, but they will be set up for the stills I am shooting so have to pick up another set of legs.

I am looking at these Libec legs and really want to stay around $300.00 for this set of legs, do you think these will make a good choice?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ge_Tripod.html

Or would this one be better?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ku=5455&is=REG

Or do you have any others you suggest in this price range?

Thanks
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #162
New Boot

Well, after looking around at all the reviews and feedback on the Libec, plus Nick's feedback (thanks Nick) I've ordered the LS38. I'd be more than happy to give some feedback once I've received it and done some testing if you guys are interested.

Still, a Vinten would have been nice, but then so would a Ferrari and I can't afford one of them either.

Thanks for all your help gents.

Shaun
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #163
New Boot

Liking the Libec

I just received the LS-38 yesterday and am very pleased. Yes, the tripod may be a little overkill for a stripped down A1 but it offers room to add on accessories galore. Just add a wide angle lens and you'll be happy you have the 38 versus mybe the 22.

Solid legs, smooth head and love the ball leveler. For the money, the LS-38 is a great value.

David
David Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #164
Contributor

Just because the manufacturers state an upper weight limit for a tripod doesn't mean it's too much for the camera. Those weights are always overstated. You definitely wouldn't want to put a 15 pound camera on this tripod. You could but you wouldn't be happy with it. I think it's pretty ideal for the XH A1. Seems to me to be the best deal on the market for the money. Much better build quality that I expected. If I used a matte box and Letus adapter, etc., I'd want the 55.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #165
Major Player

Libec gets really sticky under +5 Celsius, I mean it is usable but it's pan and tilt properties change dramatically so be careful not to tip over the tripod when panning because of that added friction in colder weather.

Are all the fluids so afraid of cold?

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads