Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #46
Regular Crew

what is the take on the bogen 701 rc
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:53 AM   #47
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinista
what is the take on the bogen 701 rc
Click on the 'Search' link above, type in "701" (without quotes) and you'll find about 20 links referencing the 701 on this board.

Here's an example (an older thread, but lots of info): http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=701

I own and use a 701RCII and Manfrotto 756B legs with a small, consumer type DV cam (Sony TRV38) and it performs well enough for my non-commercial applications.

Hope this helps...

Allen
Allen Mitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #48
Major Player

the 701 head is not bad. It is way better than not having a fluid head.

The 501 is better though. You can adjust the friction on the 501 more and i think it feels a little smoother.

I have used both with a vx-2000 with the big battery and both will give acceptable results.

If weight, portability is a big issue or if what your doing is just for personal use I think the 701 will be find for you.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #49
Regular Crew

I have two 701RC2 heads that I use with a VX2100 to film dog sports. With experience, you can develop a light touch to make the head work well for pans, but its harder to get smooth movement if you need a diagonal (more so if you're zoomed in, of course). Its not bad for the price, as long as you recognize its limits.

For me I'm mostly set up on the field and don't need to tilt. But if you're filming from the top of the bleachers you'll need more combinations of movements and may find yourself wishing you had gotten a more expensive head. Also, I'd say the VX2100 is at about the limit weight-wise for this head. Mine holds the camera level just fine, but if you're looking down on the field its hard to tweak it so it doesn't sag. An XH A1 might be a little much.

Keep in mind that heads last a long time. Maybe see if you can find a local users group where you might be able to hit people up to try their equipment and see what you like before investing the cash.

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #50
Regular Crew

The Gitzo G2180 head is worth looking at for $250. It is very small, very light and quite smooth in my experience. That leaves you $150 for legs.

Best wishes,
Peter
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #51
Major Player

If you start looking more seriously @ the Bogen route you might want to look locally :p

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86460

:)

(noticed the threads while looking @ new posts :)
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #52
Major Player

In that price range, most heads you'll find will be flat-base heads. It's a HUGE time saver to have a leveling ball, so you don't have to be absolutely perfect when setting the heights of your legs. Bogen makes a nice, inexpensive set of legs that incorporates a column and system to level flat-base heads. The number is 756B and it comes in kits with a few different heads. Its a cheap way to get decent lightweight legs that level a cheap head.

Alternatively, the Libec LS-22 is just barely in your range, and while its overall capacity is lower than the 501, it's a fair bit smoother, and it's a true fluid head (from what users say) with a 75mm leveling ball, whereas the 501 is a lubricated friction system. That's not to say you can't get good results with the 501 - it just takes a lot of patience and delicacy. The 501 will be a lot more durable in terms of throwing it around and putting it in checked-baggage. But the Ls-22 system is smoother, I have tried both. Unless money is no object, any tripod system will be some balance between features, performance, durability and personal preference. You could spend $400 or $4000 (seriously!) on a tripod for your exact camera, but in the end if you get great results, it doesn't matter what you spent - nobody will look at your footage and say "hey that pan looked like a bogen 501 head, but your tilt was more O'connor 1030b-ish." If you practice with your own kit to the point where you're comfortable, it'll be smooth enough to be invisible.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #53
Regular Crew

newbe tripod question for a1

Bought the a1 love in it
mostly a photograher here just starting to get into video
any recommendations for an all purpose
tripod and head
not to heavy?
Richard Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Congrats on your new Canon A1, but if you've any tripod questions then post it here. http://dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Also, I use the Libec LS-38 which is a very nice tripod and not very expensive.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #55
Regular Crew

deleted message

Last edited by Barry Richard; February 18th, 2007 at 02:15 AM.
Barry Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM   #56
Major Player

Tripod for Canon A1

I looking for a good tripod system for the Canon A1. I will use most of the time inside, but my first big project (two weeks in the forest, making hunting video) will be outside.
I looking these two system:

Cartoni F101 Focus
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

or
Sachtler DV-2IISL
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The Schactler's leg is Carbon Fiber, but both has a same weight. In the forest I think I need a light system. Also, I wonder if I can add spike feet to these legs.
Or some cheaper Bogen system is enough?
Any recommendation?

Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I've owned two Sachtler systems and loved them both, but I just sold both of them as I'm moving to smaller form cameras and after doing a lot of looking around, the Gitzo system at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
is the best value in my not so humble opinion. It works with loads from 2 to 22 pounds, but I've seen it loaded with a Sony F900 (a beast) with no problems. It uses different springs you can swap to allow a variety of different weights to be used, so no matter how much stuff you load on the cam you are not going to overload it. At 9.5 pounds, and a shoulder strap included, you could easily carry this anywhere. And while the stock handle which tightens the head is too long to lower the sticks as far down as they go, Bogen will send you a replacement knob which WILL allow you to go as low as you can (forgot buying baby legs).
Geoff Dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM   #58
Major Player

Thanks I have two of this Gitzo system, but it's way too heavy in the forest.
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM   #59
Regular Crew

If you use the Sachtler 6SB head there is no need to buy the extra C.O.G. DV-2 plate, to bring the A1 in balance. You can use the standard camera plate that is standard with the head, change the pin setting and attach it to the XH-A1. (I know that you need the extra DV plate $ for use with the Sony V1).
Attached Thumbnails
Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1-a1-dv6sb.jpg  
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:09 AM   #60
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield
So, The 503 is a good deal and its pretty easy to get over the limitation of the 503.
How do you get around the limitations? I was looking for a tripod for a soon-to-be-purchased A1, and the 501/525 combo is accessible here. But sounds like that may not be a good bet?
Ian Henderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads