Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
Mark,

However, I generally recommend the Libec LS55 as it has Strong and weak torque change for pan and tilt where the LS38 does not. The LS55 system runs for $849.00 with the mid-level spreader.

If you have any questions on the Libec systems or any of the others (Bogen, Vinten, Miller) Please contact me at TapeWorks and I would be glad to provide any information you need.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489 TOLL FREE
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott,

You recommended the LS-55 with the mid-level spreader. Can you provide a few details about the pro's and cons of the mid-level vs. the floor spreader and why you suggest the former? Thanks. I am thinking I might follow your advice even though I just purchased some brand new Bogen 3246 legs on eBay and was planning on putting a Bogen 503 on it. :-(
Terry VerHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #62
New Boot

My Tripod Choice

I like a Manfrotto 055MF4 Magfiber Pro Carbon Tripod with a Manfrotto 3502 Compact Leveling Head - Ball Camera Leveller with a Manfrotto 3130 Micro Fluid Head. This easily supports my Canon XH-A1 and is extremely portable.

Works Great!
Ken Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #63
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Toussaint View Post
If you use the Sachtler 6SB head there is no need to buy the extra C.O.G. DV-2 plate, to bring the A1 in balance. You can use the standard camera plate that is standard with the head, change the pin setting and attach it to the XH-A1. (I know that you need the extra DV plate $ for use with the Sony V1).
Raymond, how are you liking this setup?

I'm really torn between the DV6 SB and the Vinten Vision 3. I know the DV6 is more $$, but you don't have to change springs. I just got off the phone Vinten and they said a #2 spring would be ideal for the XH-A1, but if I anticipate adding a mattebox, etc. go with the #3 spring. I really don't feel like having to switch between springs and futs around with rebalancing too much. As for the Vinten Vision 6, they said that would probably be too much for such a light camera.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #64
Regular Crew

XH tripod heads

Hi everyone,

Did a search of forums but could not find anything specific on this.

I am trying to decide between to bogen video heads for the Canon XH A1.
The bogen 503 or the bogen 516.

Questions:

Are both heads identical in technology, but just different load capacities?

Considering the relatively light weight of the XH A1, is going with the bigger 516 head better than the 503?

...Or should I be concerned with matching up the camera's weight with the right size head such as the 503?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #65
New Boot

I am using the 503 with the XH-A1, with the 523PRO remote control (a real plus I would highly recommend, even with the Push AF limitation for Canon camcorders). I have not used the 516.

I am quite satisfied with the setup, even though it is not perfect. One of the issues is in the counter balance spring, which is not adjustable. It is not far off, though. Looking at the spec sheet, I guess the 516 would be definitely worse in this regard, as the spring is designed for a 16.5lbs camcorder vs. 5.5lbs for the 503.

Why does this matter? Imagine you balance the camcorder (by adjusting the locking position of the quick release plate on the head). It will then stay horizontal at minimal friction. If you then tilt the camcorder up or down, it should ideally stay at the angle you select without having to lock it in position. With the XH-A1 on the 503, the position will slowly shift as the spring strength does not exactly match the camera. But this should be significantly worse with the 516.

The new 503HDV head, introduced at NAB and scheduled for release this summer, might not be much better than the 503 in this regard. Sure, it has an adjustable counter balance spring, but it is not continuous, with only 4 positions. Not sure one will be a closer match than the 503.

--
Fred
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #66
Regular Crew

thanks

Frederic,

Thanks for your reply. I did notice the new version of the 503, the 503HDV is not available until July from B&H. That figures, very tough for me to get the regualr 503 when I know the other model is due out. Unfortunatley I need a head within a couple of weeks. I was doing some searches and saw the Gitzo G2180. I do not know anything about this head and searches turned up very little.

Does anyone have experiance with the G2180?

How does it compare with the Bogen 503 or 516?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Miller DS-10 for Canon XH-A1

Budget allows getting the DS-10 for the XH-A1. Would this be overkill? Would the Libec LS-55M or 38M be a better match..?
Thx, Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ross Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #68
Major Player

The DS10 is definitely not overkill, its a great head and works extremely well with my Z1 and previous PD150. The canon will fit it fine and its well worth the money.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Joe,
Thanks for the endorsement..! Just as well, as it's already on order..!
NZ, eh..? always fancied a trip down there to do a spot of trout fishing; heard it's pretty good.. (I'm British, but born in OZ, left when I was 3, never been back but always yearned to get back down to your part of the world...)
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #70
Regular Crew

I am looking at the 755B legs, similar to 745.
May I ask why the 503 head? What are the advantages over 501HDV, specifically for XH-A1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho View Post
unfortunately, you will almost always sacrifice some stability for portability. i would recommend a tripod kit with a half ball as this will make shooting level shots much easier, regardless of terrain. this kit, coming in at less than 9 lbs, looks like it might suit you...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #71
Major Player

Hello,
I too have XH A1 and am wondering, how good is Manfrotto 525MVB Tripod?
It's a part of the 503/525 kit I can get here.

My needs would primary be shooting outdoors, including taking the tripod on hikes.

Thanks
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #72
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim Yankovskiy View Post
May I ask why the 503 head? What are the advantages over 501HDV, specifically for XH-A1?
From what I've read, the 503 is a true fluid head while the 501 is only fluid-like. As a 501 owner, I have to agree. Horizontal movement is quite nice on the 501, but the tilt movement is often started with jerk that is totally visible in the footage. Perhaps this is due to my lack of grace with only a Sony VX2000 or Z1U.

Anyway, compare the use of the term "fluid head" in the specs :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_Video.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...luid_Head.html
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Andreas,

I just received a set of 525mvb legs. I have a miller head on them and I am very pleased with them so far and I have used them about 2 hours of taping. They have a floor spreader and it is very easy to use. They fold up inside. they are kind of bulky. I am making a Velcro strap to put around them to hold them together when not in use but being carried by hand. There is no torsion movement that is noticable and my miller head can be relatively stiff for slow easy pans. They are reasonably easy to use and set up quickly. They are are fairly heavy but not excessive to me.
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
From what I've read, the 503 is a true fluid head while the 501 is only fluid-like. As a 501 owner, I have to agree. Horizontal movement is quite nice on the 501, but the tilt movement is often started with jerk that is totally visible in the footage. Perhaps this is due to my lack of grace with only a Sony VX2000 or Z1U.

Anyway, compare the use of the term "fluid head" in the specs :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_Video.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...luid_Head.html
I get some very nice tilts/pans with my 501... still learning... but on a budget for $400 with legs and a case (that I fly with) I couldn't be happier...

http://www.lousyheros.com/videos/xpslpat.wmv I agree some parts are bad, and other parts are very smooth, this was the first time out with my new cam (HDR-FX7) and this tripod, still figuring out how to level it better, the terrain I was on was uneven (on the sidelines) and still getting used to all of it... like at 7-9 seconds... I didn't notice any jerk when I stopped...

And at :26, that's my fault... not the tripod :)
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
I get some very nice tilts/pans with my 501... still learning... but on a budget for $400 with legs and a case (that I fly with) I couldn't be happier...

... I didn't notice any jerk when I stopped...
I'm talking about the slight jerk when starting a tilt with the 501. Perhaps I just need to master the head and even use a longer tripod arm.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads