Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old July 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #91
Regular Crew

well I just took the plunge and ordered the LS-38 from videokit.co.uk for my A1... who are selling it £100 cheaper than everyone else.
Steven Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #92
Trustee

Gitzo G2380

Has anyone had any experience with the Gitzo G2380 head? I have a Canon XH A1 and am looking for a good "fluid" head that is not too expensive.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #93
Trustee

Cartoni Action Mini DV vs. Libec LS22 for XH A1

Do any of you have any recommendations on which would be a better fit for my Canon XH A1. Has anyone had first hand experience with either or both of these. I am a novice with this camera, have had it about a month and am looking for a fairly inexpensive tripod setup. I will use it for mostly dance recital filming and stage shows so paning is my biggest concern but I do anticipate some tilts.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a great forum.

Thanks
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #94
Major Player

Better Cartoni for you...

There is a better Cartoni for you than the Action Pro for about $100 more which is called the HiDV. It has continuously variable counter-balance which is a big step up from the Action Pro's on and off counter balance. I almost bought an Action Pro but fortunately saw this just in time and bought it instead for my son's Canon HV20. Here's the link to the Cartoni site's description. You can buy this at B&H (DVinfo sponsor) for a good price.

http://www.cartoni.com/eng/HIDV.html

The other Cartoni to look at is the Focus, which is a few hundred dollars more but will counter-balance a lot more weight (up to 22 lbs.) and has the lighted leveling bubble.

Tip McPartland
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #95
Trustee

I've no experience with the Cartoni, but I've used the Libec 950DV under my VX2100. It's effectively an LS-22 head on a lighter tripod. I've even married the LS-22 head to the more heavyweight LS-37 legs.

It's OK for wider angles, and the pan and tilt is quite good for the price. But when you're zoomed in even at 12x it can be difficult to keep it absolutely stable unless you're locked off (or hands off), and my hands aren't overly shakey. I've yet to get the opportunity to get my hands on any really good tripods (such as Sachtlers and Vintens), so have nothing to compare with.

Mind you, the LS-22 costs around £200($400) versus the more expensive Cartoni HiDV (£600/$1200). Maybe yer gets what yer pays for!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #96
Trustee

Wow Tip, you're a really nice dad! Would you be interested in adopting another son?

Actually the only reason I'm considering the Cartoni Action is because I may be able to get this set up for around $450. My budget is realythe sub $500 range so I've been looking into th Libec and Bogen/Manfrotto combos. I did look at the HiDV and the Focus for about 10 seconds just to drool over them but they are way out of my budget, maybe later but I need a decent setup now.

Thanks for the input.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #97
Major Player

Garrett,
I have an XHA1 and tried the LS-22 and didn't find it sturdy enough. I ended up with the LS-38 and love it. It's not built quite as well as the Cartoni or Sachtler but for $600 it's a great set of sticks.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #98
Major Player

Thanks...

Garrett,

Let me check with wifey on that one... but seriously, thanks for the kind words. Anything to get the boys into something creative instead of just the video games!

What makes the HiDV so tempting is that it's basically a down-sized Focus with the same continuously adjustable counterbalance. So it only holds 11 lbs. instead of 22, for these cameras that's all you need.

Having good counter balance so the camera doesn't want to tilt up or down by itself will reduce fatigue and forgive small lapses of concentration. Hmmm, maybe neither of these issues is a problem for you, but I must confess...

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #99
Tourist

Does anyone know if the Cartoni HiDV head be purchased alone, without legs? No luck finding it so far. I want to use it with my lighter weight carbon fiber gitzo legs. Thanks,
Westberg Onder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #100
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the Gitzo G2380 head? I have a Canon XH A1 and am looking for a good "fluid" head that is not too expensive.
I have the Gitzo G2380 paired with the Gitzo G-1321 Level Base and the Gitzo G-1348 legs - using them with the Canon GL2 camcorder. I find it a very good setup for me.

I am saving up to buy the XH-A1, and plan on using this setup with them - I'm assuming there's no reason they won't work just as well with the somewhat heavier camcorder. If someone has reason to believe that's a bad assumption on my part - please let me know!!
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:01 PM   #101
Major Player

Tripod that can handle the XH-A1 ?

The tripod I currently have (a cheap one) can't really handle the weight of the XH-A1 when it comes to touching the camera while recording (shakes at the slightest touch).

Not having used/seen a good tripod, I'm wondering is there is such a tripod. That is to say, I'd like to be able to press buttons on the A1 (zoom/focus presets, zoom, shutter, start/stop etc.) while recording and not have the camera shake even a bit.

Does such tripods exist and what do they cost (ball park). Any make/model anyone is using that conforms to this requirement will be helpful.

Thanks.

Shiv.
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:33 PM   #102
Regular Crew

Manfrotto works fairly well considering its price.
"...while recording and not have the camera shake even a bit" - might be difficult to get.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:30 PM   #103
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
I'd like to be able to press buttons on the A1 (zoom/focus presets, zoom, shutter, start/stop etc.) while recording and not have the camera shake even a bit.
Shiv,
You should be looking at a remote controller in addition to a tripod. The zr-2000 being discussed in other threads works well and offers the most control for the A1 of the remotes available. A great tripod choice based on quality per performance per price for the A1 is the Libec LS-38. The zr-2000 fits on the Libec handle without modification.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:50 PM   #104
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102564

Josh, do you mean that the setup is stable enough to handle the extra momentum caused by moving the control out to the handle? I'd say the opposite - basic rule of physics.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:28 PM   #105
Major Player

Mats and Josh,

Thank you both for your replies.

Mats, are you saying that expecting a tripod to keep the camera steady is a pipe dream? Or atleast in so far as "affordable" ($300-$1000) tripods go?

Josh,
I've looked at the remote controller and the various threads pertaining to it. I guess I could manually focus from one point to the desired point (with some practice) using the controller. That little thumbwheel switch for focus doesn't look too encouraging thou.

What I've been using is the focus preset capability in the A1. But due to the camera shake (and the preset switch isn't the easiest switch to operate either) there is a shake. In post I use the footage past the shake but that reduces some of the drama.

I guess a remote controller might come in handy for other situations as well.

Thank you both.

Shiv.

I'll take a look at the remote controller
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads