Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1
New Boot

Tripod for XH-A1

Any recommendations for a lightweight tripod/head setup for the A1?

My next doc will require me to do a lot of hiking and I want to get a setup that will be light on my back but deliver smooth performance when panning across a beautiful landscape.

Thanks
Daniel Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Major Player

unfortunately, you will almost always sacrifice some stability for portability. i would recommend a tripod kit with a half ball as this will make shooting level shots much easier, regardless of terrain. this kit, coming in at less than 9 lbs, looks like it might suit you...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Contributor

I second that--make sure you get a ball leveling head. That recommendation looks like a pretty good deal for the money. The only negative I see is the maximum height is just under 6'.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I have that same kit, great set, but yes, you are limited by the height. I don't have the A1 yet, but I've used it with my VX2100 and Canon XL1s. The bowl leveling is excellent. Very quick to adjust, and the whole unit is pretty light.

The flip style connectors on the legs are much better than the screw type. You can extend and contract the legs in seconds. That working in conjunction with the quick bowl adjustment is absolutely perfect. Plus with the 503 head being a true fluid head it's very smooth.

A little bit of overkill for my VX2100, but it still works great nonetheless.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Tourist

Daniel
I have the A1 mounted to the exact set up Henry suggested, and I love it. The A1 is heavier than my older GL2 that it replaced, and I find that the 503 head works much better with the extra weight. I do a lot of trips to Africa and into the Sierra Mountains in California and the adjustable half ball head has worked great. I also love the fact that you can get some very low angle shots with this tripod. I don't know how long your hikes will be but as long as your not planing an "over night" this set up should work great.
For extended trips I have found that I can get some very decent shots if I just take my time with a monopod.
Frank Brocato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The 503 is not a true fluid head. But you can use some tricks to make it work very well. I say this is the minimum tripod head that you should look at.
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Major Player

I was under the impression it was the 501 head that was not fluid.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I was under the impression it was the 501 head that was not fluid.
Zoom to medium and then start panning on the 503, you will see a "sticky" start. Pan and then stop, you will see the "Rebound" (you dont even have to zoom to medium to see the above effects on the 503). The 503 is not a true fluid head, dont feel bad as even the popular Cartoni focus suffers from the later "rebound" problem.

I think, the cheapest true starter fluid heads are the Sachtler DV6 and Vinten Vision 3

The bogen 526 is a true fluid head but again, with that price range it is better to go Sachtler or Vinten.

P/S: Another Downer, The Sachtler DV6 and Vinten Vison 3 at ~$2000 are made in Costa Rica

So, The 503 is a good deal and its pretty easy to get over the limitation of the 503.
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Wow, definitely.... at that price the 503 is a great value for now! I have noticed exactly what you're talking about with my 503, I just figured I was doing something wrong
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Any opinions on the Libec LS-22? B&H has it with the T-58 legs and a free ZC-3DV zoom control for $400.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

XH Tripod Discussion

I am looking for a very solid head for my XHA1, keeping in mind that sometimes I will be using the Go35Pro adaptor on it, adding some weight. Yesterday, I was looking at the Bogen line at B+H and it seems like the 501 and 503 are both very sturdy, does anyone use either? What are you currently using with your XH, and how has it performed thus far?

** Sorry, just noticed another thread below, ok to delete.
Jason Michael Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Wade-
Brian at Zotz told me the LS-38 (or 55 even) was a good match for the XH-A1.

Would getting an even bigger tripod/head be problematic? Aside from the cost and weight issues, would something along the lines of the Miller DS25 be ok?
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM   #13
Contributor

How much was the 38 from Zotz?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

$690 for the LS-38M and $900 for the LS-55M.
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM   #15
Contributor

I just ordered the Libec-22 with mid level spreaders from Zotz Digita. The price is cheap enough to make me nervous ($440) but I thought I'd try it out.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads