Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM   #31
New Boot

Did anyone here compare the 755B with the 351 (351MVB2 2-stage alu tripod)? Or the 3046 (also Bogen/Manfrotto)?
Ole Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I think the Vinten pro 6 is ideal for the A1.
Adrian Paul Spiteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #33
Major Player

Libec LS-38. Exceptionally good for the price.
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #34
DVi Contributor

vinten Pro 6 head is good, however the 2nd stage lock on several of the tripods that are combined with the system have failed us. You could step up to the vvinten vision 3 system. you can trade out counter balance springs depending on the weight of the camera. very good investment.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1

can someone please recommend a great tripod for it. I know that's kind of a vague question with so many out there. but will be used for weddings and events of that nature, also gonna try and do some high school football games next season. willing to spend good money for a good product but dont want to get too excessive :). Trying to stay under $1500 which should get me something really nice. thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leonard
can someone please recommend a great tripod for it. I know that's kind of a vague question with so many out there. but will be used for weddings and events of that nature, also gonna try and do some high school football games next season. willing to spend good money for a good product but dont want to get too excessive :). Trying to stay under $1500 which should get me something really nice. thanks in advance.

Mark

I think if you were to ask this question of 20 different people,
you would probably get 18 different answers. :)

#1.
Do you already have a fluid head, or was that $1500 bugget for both a head and sticks?

I think a "really nice tripod" as you put it, could run you $4k or more.

IMHO, probably the best bang for the buck in a head/legs combo would be the Libec LS-55.
I picked up one the other day with mid-level spreader & case for $820 + tax.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #37
Major Player

or the LS-38. See the review by Nigel Cooper below.

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=150
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #38
Regular Crew

The January 2007 issue of Digital Video magazine has a comparison review of 5 tripods. These are expensive professional models above your price limit. But just thought I'd mention it for others. And their discussion may point out things you should consider when selecting a tripod. They say what you will find best depends on your personal needs and preferences. But overall they pick the "Sachtler 15 SB SL MCF".

I am not that familiar with all the tripods, just passing on their info...
Rick Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #39
Contributor

If you have $1500 for a tripod, the Gitzo is possibly the most you can get for your money. I bought a Gitzo 1338 system for a DSR250 a few years ago, and later found that it handles the much heavier DSR500 just fine. They have different size heads, but you can also get reduced tension springs to change out if you have one of the bigger ones and want to use a smaller camera.

I got a Libec 22 for my XA A1 because I wanted the smallest, lightest weight tripod I could get for most of what I'm doing with this camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I purchased a Bogen/Manfrotto 503 head with 755b tripod combo for my XH-A1 and I really like it. This was influenced by some recommendations from users here on the forums and the reputation of the company (as well as one or two similar ones I had used at school). I'm not an expert on tripods however, as this is my first professional quality one (my previous was a 35$ from Walmart) but it feels nice to handle, is fairly simple, and looks beautiful attached to the camera (the black and red accents match exactly, not that that matters very much!). I'm sure these other professionals have a much better idea of the best tripod for you, but at $590 it's a great system for it.

Last edited by Byron Huskey; January 19th, 2007 at 04:56 AM.
Byron Huskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #41
Major Player

I use an old Bogen 3221WN and a 501 fluid head. Works very well. If I were buying one today I would move up to the slightly more steady Bogen 3046 with the 501 fluid head. And you're only talking $500.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #42
Trustee

Not to be picky, or hurt anyone's feelings, but the $150 Bogen/Manfrotto 501 is not a true fluid head.
If I were going the Manfrotto route, I would step up to a 503, which is a much better head than the 501.

And yes we do own a 501.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #43
Regular Crew

wow, thanks guys. if i can get away with $500-$700 on this and get great performance, I can get a mic setup as well :)
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #44
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Mark,

As someone mentioned in this thread, the "perfect" tripod really comes down to personal preference. Tapeworks is a direct dealer for all of the main tripod manufacturers on the market including Bogen (Gitzo and Manfrotto), Vinten, Miller and Libec.

As a dealer, I recommend the manufacturer that fits within budget for the client and provides the best customer support. Libec has provided the best support to my clients over all the others. Libec is always there for my clients needs and requests. Their products are in stock majority of the time and ready to dropship straight to the client.

If you budget is in the $500 - $700 range, then Libec can supply a professional tripod system within that budget. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about the LS38 which is a nice system. The LS38 had a great write up in a couple DV magazines. TapeWorks sales this system for $599.00 with the mid-level spreader.

However, I generally recommend the Libec LS55 as it has Strong and weak torque change for pan and tilt where the LS38 does not. The LS55 system runs for $849.00 with the mid-level spreader.

If you have any questions on the Libec systems or any of the others (Bogen, Vinten, Miller) Please contact me at TapeWorks and I would be glad to provide any information you need.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489 TOLL FREE
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #45
Regular Crew

for 400 dollars what stick set up would you go with

ok so again with the budget questions. I have an A1 and only about 400 dollars to spend on a tripod and head what would you recomend?? Ill be shooting high school sporting events and weddings here and there

the libec 22 seems reasonable but im not sure about its head
bogen 501 or the 503 are also some of my other choices
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads