Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #166
Contributor

The short answer to that question is yes. They don't like the cold. But I agree the Libec is a bit sticky when it's really cold. I only used it one time when it was about 8 degrees below zero (F). Not great. My old O'Connor 50 would tighten up too when it was that cold. A Gitzo I used to have didn't seem quite as affected. My feeling is that if it's too cold for the tripod then it's too cold for me too.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #167
Major Player

I'm planning on getting either the LS-22 or LS-38 pretty soon here. It appears as if TT is beating Zotz by as much as $40 on price. Can anyone tell me if there's a compelling reason to order from one or the other keeping in mind that slow shipping isn't an issue for me?

Thanks,
K

Last edited by Kevin Kimmell; June 10th, 2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: error
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #168
Contributor

I've had great customer service from both places. You can't go wrong with either. I got my 38 from TT and shipping was timely.
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #169
Tourist

LS-38M vs. LS-38

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the LS-38M, with the Mid Level Spreader is worth the extra 25 bucks, over the LS-38 with the Bottom level Spreader?

Thanks-Peiter
Peiter Jerzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #170
Inner Circle

Hi Peitr..............

Depends on your type of shooting.

If you always shoot on smooth, flat, hard surfaces then the bottom spreader is fine, tho' it doesn't provide as much leg bracing as the mid level unit.

For undulating, lumpy or soft surfaces (grass for example) the bottom spreader is pretty much useless, and the mid level unit is the way to go.

Because my shooting can be on any of the above types of surfaces, I eventually did away with the bottom spreader pretty much all together. The only time it comes out to play now is if I'm shooting on a polished wooden or concrete/ tile floor. If it is imperitive the tripod cannot move on such surfaces, a couple of sand bags on the bottom spreader works very nicely.

If you can spring for it, I'd get both.

CS

PS: Sorry about the missing "e".

Last edited by Chris Soucy; July 20th, 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Whoops.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM   #171
Contributor

As noted above, the ground level spreader is nice because you can sandbag it if needed. However, I got the mid-level spreader. I like it because I never have to take it off on unlevel ground. You can, for example, put 2 legs on a step, and then extend the third one down to the next step with a mid level spreader. Also, on the Libec 38's mid level spreader you can lift up and squeeze the legs in and lock the spreader in the 45 degree position. This gives you a little extra height quickly when needed. For me it was worth the money.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #172
Regular Crew

Is this a descent tripod for A1

Hello Guys,

I am looking to purchase a tripod for Canon XH A1, I do not have much experience in tripods just yet but I am wondering what the users of A1 think of this tripod. Does anyone has this or used it in past. Can you provide any input if possible please.

http://www.adorama.com/CCAP11.html

Thank you.
Karim Amanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #173
Regular Crew

Any help/suggestions on the above request???

Thank you.
Karim Amanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #174
Contributor

I think that's undersized for the XH A1. For about the same money you could get a Libec 38. Check Tapeworks Texas, they seem to have the best prices on that model. I'm not promoting Libec just because I have one. I think they're the best deal in low cost tripods in this range. The lowest I'd go with Cartoni would be something like the Focus. You never want a tripod rated just above the camera weight. The Libec 38, for example, is rated to 18 pounds, or something like that. That means you can safely put that much weight on it. Doesn't mean it works well with that much weight. My XH A1 has the TA-100 quick release plate, a wireless receiver on the hot shoe, and a shotgun mic for ambient audio in the mic mount, so I'd guess it is around 7 to 8 pounds total, and that's just about perfect for the Libec 38.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #175
Trustee

Hi Karim,

This setup balances perfectly with the quick release plate, the largest battery and a shotgun mic. In that configuration I can tilt through the full range of the head and when I release it it won't move at all. Be careful about getting a tirpod that is rated for a much larger payload than what you're going to use unless it has a good counterbalance adjustment. If you can't balance the camera correctly when you release it the camera will creep back up or down from a tilt.

If you're going to load your camera with a mattbox, external screen, or 35mm adapter you will overload the tripod. However, if you're looking for a fairly light good solid tripod that will give you smooth pans and tilts, the Cartoni will fit the bill. If you're going to load up the camera I'd look for a used Miller DS10.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #176
Major Player

cheap and light travel tripod for XHA1

I'm off the the Middle East soon and need a Cheap and cheerful tripod for the job. I have a libec ls38 but it's way too heavy. I can live without the silky smooth tilts/pans and i don't mind if it's a bit smaller than ideal. Something i can throw over my shoulder without too much worry.

Any ideas?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #177
Regular Crew

Manfroto tripod - dont bother with anything else !

As you guys know, I purchased a cheap £20 tripod off ebay which was a decent enough unit and for a noob like me seemed perfect.
I was sent a pm by a couple of people about the manfroto so decided to buy one.
I have to say it is awesome, a real serious piece of kit.
The ability to pan up and down, left and right with ease is amazing, no judder, just sweet movement throughout.

Has to be one of the best purchases so far !
Jayson Corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #178
Regular Crew

Which model did you get? They have a bunch.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #179
Regular Crew

Maybe the 503HDV, the finest for a low price.
Just a guess...
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #180
Regular Crew

quick question for anyone, I too am looking for a desent tripod but I need something that would have wheels so i can move the tripod along. I havent seen many with wheels on legs or is it something that one can attach to any tripod. I am interested in the Libec 38 for my soon to be XH A1.

Thank you.
Karim Amanali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads