DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   501PL Sliding Quick Release Plate Monopod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/85107-501pl-sliding-quick-release-plate-monopod.html)

Steven Davis January 29th, 2007 12:50 PM

501PL Sliding Quick Release Plate Monopod

Well, I need to pick up a monopod to hold between a Z1u and a Gl2, but I need it to have the 501 plate since I have a fig rig, 501 and 503 head. So I'm wondering, should I get the stick and then mount the 557 from Manfrotto or just go with the link below. I've never built a stick by purchasing both parts. I called B&H and the guy there wasn't so sure that I could put the 557 on a bogen monopod. So here's my post. I would appreciate any comments.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Henry Gray January 30th, 2007 10:09 AM

Hi Steven.
I have this setup, A Manfrotto 558b is a standard monopod with a 1/4 and
3/8 thread, this screws into the base of the 577 quick release adaptor.
It is quite easy to remove/replace this adaptor if required.
I found it cheaper to purchase the 558b complete and remove the
adaptor when necessary.

Hope this helps

Don Bloom January 30th, 2007 01:23 PM

hey Steven,
I'm looking at my Bogen 628B monopod with the 557 QR adaptor on it right now. One thing I like about the 577 is I can move it to other applications as needed and of course it works with my 501 heads-doesn't work with my 516 but then I'd never put a heavy camera on the monopod anyway. To each his/her own I guess as to what is best but for me the 577 on the monopod has worked very well for a number of years.

Don

Steven Davis January 30th, 2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom
hey Steven,
To each his/her own I guess as to what is best but for me the 577 on the monopod has worked very well for a number of years.

Don

Cool, can I borrow yours for umm, a measured amount of time. :} That's good information. Us in the wedding business need to be able to switch from support to support. I love my fig rig, but I have learned a certain limitation of it, that being it is a challenge to hold it at a dead stand still. So I am looking to get a monopod. I think I'll order the 558b, Don I didn't see your monopd, the 628B on BH, wonder if they renamed it.

Thanks for the info Henry.

Don Bloom January 30th, 2007 03:54 PM

Uh, thats because I type sdrawkcab sometimes and MEANT to type 682B-it has the detachable legs. For a "small" fee I'd be happy to drive my monopod down to you, let you use it and drive back. :-)

Don

Steven Davis March 20th, 2007 06:28 AM

Don, quick question

Do you find yourself flipping the legs up on your monopod more than not, or do you use the legs more. Man I should type after I finish my coffee, that's about as much sense as I can make this early in the morning.

I'm looking at two different monopods to get, I was just wondering how much of an issue the legs are when you may not need them. (ok I admit, I'm worried about tripping over the legs and chunking my z1 in the river.) :}

Don Bloom March 20th, 2007 07:30 AM

Honestly I don't use it as much as before as the 150 is 2nd cam BUT when I do use it, it depends on the situation I'm in.
Before when i was using 2 150s for weddings and such I used the monopod during receptions - this way I could set it on the legs and keep my hands nearby just in case (I'm not a very trusting person) and still be able to grab the monopod and move. I would use it in the same way one would use a glidecam (not saying it's as good ofcourse) but the concept is the same. For intros and toasts it worked great-set it down-set the shot and good to go-then to get to the toasts if I had to run thru the tables to get to the head table I didn't have to worry about not having a path to the head table with a tripod and wheels AND I didn't have to stand there and handhold the camera for 20 minutes or so while the speeches went on. I like the fact that I can also set it in a corner and "hide" the camera on the monopod if need be (altar shot) and as long as no one touches it it's fairly stable but I've also used a 5lb ankle weight from a sports store to put some weight on the bottom-sort of like a sandbag.

Don

Steven Davis March 20th, 2007 07:52 AM

Ok, you sold me, legs it is. Thanks for the advice Don.

Don Bloom March 20th, 2007 09:23 AM

anytime I can help someoneelse spend money is good!
Ask Ben Lynn
O|O
\__/

Don