DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Libec LS-22 or LS-38 tripod for Canon XH-A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/85243-libec-ls-22-ls-38-tripod-canon-xh-a1.html)

Mark Finch January 30th, 2007 05:57 PM

Libec LS-22 or LS-38 tripod for Canon XH-A1?

Hello everyone. First of all I would like to say hello as I'm a new member - although I've been hanging around these forums for quite a few months now while deciding which HD camcorder to buy - and it has been a major factor in helping me choose my equipment (and so I thank you all for your advice and help).

*Ahem* Anyway, I am pretty much stuck in trying to choose a tripod. Basically, after much research, I have decided to go with Libec, but I cannot decide between the LS-22 kit or the LS-38 kit. Which one do you guys think would work better with a Canon XH-A1? As I understand it, the 22 is designed for more lighter camcorders (for which the A1 falls into that catergory) and is a good £130 cheaper. However, the 38 is more professional and would probably last longer, also it can hold more weight and I do plan on adding on Raynox telephoto lenses onto the A1. It's also more expensive, even more so if you add on a mid-level spreader as the only models available in the UK at the moment only include the floor spreader.

So, would the LS-22 be adequate for the XH-A1? Is it professional enough? Can anyone out there offer me any advice or talk about their experiences to help choose between the two?

Mark Bournes January 31st, 2007 07:13 AM

Mark, I just bought the ls38 with the mid level spreader. It holds light weight cameras and heavier ones. I use it with my xl2 and it works great. highly recommend it.

Jaron Berman January 31st, 2007 11:31 AM

The 22 is perfectly adequate for the A1, and is perhaps the best tripod for the money for that camera. Even with a few accessories, you'll still be far shy of the 8lb limit, so I'd imagine that would be a match made in heaven.

As for the 38, yes it is a better setup. The legs are stiffer, the head is smoother and larger, and it has a sliding plate instead of a simple drop-in quick release. But, your camera will be too light for it. It won't take a ton of effort to overcome the spring balance, but the 38 is more intended for loaded XL-2's, H1's, etc... Cameras that weigh closer to 10 lbs. If you own your camera, and intend to use it most of the time, you'll probably get sick of fighting the head.

If you think you'll have that camera for a couple years, it's probably best to plan your accessories for that camera. I'm always a staunch believer in buying the best you can get up front, so you don't have to re-buy later. BUT, you're in bizarre waters now. Quite simply put, there are VERY few good options in the sub-10lb category. And, besides the Vinten Vision 3, none can truly and effectively balance the whole range from <5lb to >20. A lot of people have Sachtlers...but I won't even go there. Basically for these light cameras, unless you want to always use your camera on a tripod with weight plates or spacers, it's best to just get the small head. Miller's 5 head and Libec's LS-22 are probably your best bets in the inexpensive range. The vision 3 is fantastic, and it can grow with your cameras, but its a lot more expensive.

As for looking professional - I've day-played on a number of shows where I was handed a Z1u or DVX and a broken bottom of the line Bogen PHOTO tripod. The Ls-22 looks and works about a MILLION times better that that, so I wouldn't worry too much. If the gear works, and you're able to use it without fumbling, it looks professional. So whether you buy a new O'Connor film head or the libec Ls-22, just make sure you're proficient at balancing the camera on it, setting it quickly and leveling the head BEFORE you head to a shoot.

Oh and last thing:
A lot of people complain about heads with fixed resistance. Some of the best heads ever made had fixed resistance. Especially in the lower-priced heads, this is a good thing. Compare the movement of the Miller Ds5 head to the Ds10 or 20 head. The 5 is fixed and infinitely smoother than the bizarre friction of the higher-end heads. And this isn't uncommon. If you need variable resistance, use physics to your advantage - for more resistance, grip the head closer than the end of the pan bar. For cameras less than about 15lb, try gripping the head itself. By reducing your leverage on the head, you're effectively increasing the resistance and decreasing your body's effect on the picture.

Adrian Paul Spiteri January 31st, 2007 12:57 PM

how does the Libes Ls-38 compare to the Vinten Pro 6 ?