Min height for tripod ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Min height for tripod ??

Hey there I was just wondering whats a good minimum height for a tripod set up?? for the A1 I'm looking into the libec 22 at 59" or the bogen 351mvb2 with the 503 head. I know the 503 is a better head but some have said that the A1 is too light for that set up has anybody experienced problems with it?
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Canon XH to Tripod Sticks & Heads.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you're not buying a double extension tripod or short legs, a good minimum for a single extension tripod is one that allows you to shoot just below the eye line of someone sitting in a chair.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

very helpful thank you
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you are looking for a really nice tripod at a great price, I would suggest the Bogen 525MV 75mm or the 515MV 100mm (which is what I have.) It goes down to 12.5", which has reduced my need for a high hand on many ENG type shoots, and up to 61.5"--high enough for most situations that don't call for a ladder.

They both support upto 33 lbs, but are still fairly light. Even on the slowest pan setting on my Sachtler Video 18 I don't see any giveing/twisting in the legs.

I would suggest a two stage tripod though. It it much easier to store/carry shorter sticks!

Matthew Rogers
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers
If you are looking for a really nice tripod at a great price, I would suggest the Bogen 525MV 75mm or the 515MV 100mm (which is what I have.) It goes down to 12.5", which has reduced my need for a high hand on many ENG type shoots, and up to 61.5"--high enough for most situations that don't call for a ladder.

They both support upto 33 lbs, but are still fairly light. Even on the slowest pan setting on my Sachtler Video 18 I don't see any giveing/twisting in the legs.
Matthew Rogers
With all due respect, you are talking about a $4K head mounted to a $700 tripod.

In Chris's other post he mentions that he has a total budget of under $500 for the whole shebang.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones
With all due respect, you are talking about a $4K head mounted to a $700 tripod.

In Chris's other post he mentions that he has a total budget of under $500 for the whole shebang.
True, but not exactly accurate. If you bought everything new at B&H, it would cost $693 ($273 for 503 head & $420 for the 525 sticks.) They key is to either shop ebay or call around to different rental houses for a head and then buy the sticks new. I would avoid buying sticks used unless you can inspect them, or see really good pictures. I know this because I've had to work with sticks before that looked good from a few feet away, but up close they had bent legs/missing knobs--all which made using them very hard.

Shop shop shop. Key advice! That's how I got a very nice Sachtler Video 18 head for $800.

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM   #8
New Boot

very versatile Tripod setup

After trying many different combinations from Cartoni, Gitzo and Manfrotto, I have settled on a combination that I believe to be the best blend of versatility and economy.
I like it so much I bought a second one for my new camera.
A Bogen/Manfrotto 3046 tripod $230 at B&H
Bogen 503 fluid head $224 -B&H
and the addition of a Bogen Compact leveling ball head $74 for rapid leveling with the flip of a lever.

The tripod is a double tube main section with a built in spreader and a single tube second section. This is fine for most shooting using the main section for sitting subjects and extending the second section for standing subjects, landscapes or action. The geared center column makes it easy to do small height adjustments.
The 3rd section and geared column give you a total height of 9ft. YES, 9 (nine) feet total height. this gives you a great range for shooting over the heads of a crowd or a dramatic down angle in a narrative shoot.
This combination is rock stable up to 6ft or so and only slightly less so fully extended. It sets up and levels quickly and weighs about 14 pounds total. I have thrown it with the camera attached over my shouder and followed horses and riders across hills while shooting a cattle roundup.
I wouldn't want to do that all day, but I'm trying to say it's light enough to reposition quickly while still set up.
You can't beat the price for the quality and vesatility.
Edward Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Trustee

finally

I think you may have finally found a system that I can use. This wasn't my thread, but thanks for the answer as I think this is exactly what I am looking for.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

3502 Leveling Unit?

Edward,

I was interested in the 3502 leveling unit you referred to, for quick leveling at the touch of a lever....

I read the description provided at B & H, and it mentions it is for tripods WITHOUT spirit levels built in. But the 503 and 3046 descriptions, respectively, mention they each have the spirit levels built-in.

So, what is the advantage of this $75.00 unit with your tripod/head setup?
Does it provide the element of reduced time required to level out the rig?

Curious, since I have the exact same tripod and head...

John Reilly
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi there

Having used the Manfrotto 351MV/501 combination for a couple of years, I've just got a Libec LS38... So far really impressed.. more compact, better head, lighter...Good value tripod for the money...

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads