is the A1 to light ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

is the A1 to light ???

its a real big toss up for me now cause both the bogen 351 mvb2 and the libec 22 seem like great matches for the A1 except that people are saying the A1 is too light for the 351mvb2. So is it too light or will it work just fine and do you know which one has a higher extension the bogen or the libec???
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Trustee

The A1 is almost 6 pounds loaded as is.
I guess the big question is... Are you ever going to add anything else to your camera that would kick up the weight? (IE) matte box and rail system, shotgun mic, wireless mics, mic cables, filters, wide angle lens, external monitor, 35mm lens adapter system...

I run a decked out A1 atop a Libec LS-55M.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I wish I could afford that setup but I cant afford more then 500 for the sticks and head thanx tho
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Unless you're dead set on a bogen head, I'd probably shy away from their video stuff. Short of their 526 head, I've never found a Bogen/Manfrotto to have smooth enough movement to plunk any of my own money on. If it's the gear you're handed, then use it as best you can. but, if you have a choice, definitely look elsewhere.

This particular weight range is difficult because there are basically no high-end options, and even the mid-end options are expensive. BUT, at the low end the Ls-22 or 38 and Miller Ds-5 systems stand pretty much alone. Here's the problem - all these systems have fixed-balance springs. The Ls-22 does a great job till about 8.5lbs, the Ls-38 does great between 8 and 13 lbs.

I'd say to make a realistic list of all the possible ways you'll configure your camera in the next couple years. If you think you'll be using a mattebox (for more than just show), on-board lights with batteries, etc... then include them. Then try and figure out the configuration you'll be using 90% of the time. If you're at 7 lbs for the majority of your usage, you're best-off getting the tripod which balances that exact weight (Ds-5, Ls-22). For those couple times a year that you need to carry 9 lbs, the additional effort on your arm to keep the camera balanced will be a worthwhile tradeoff to save a LOT of trouble either fighting too strong of a spring or paying for a tripod which is overkill (and has too strong of a spring).
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thank you jaron you made alot of sence and probly saved me a 100 bux
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads