Wireless Remote Control Pan and Tilt Head for Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #1
New Boot

Wireless Remote Control Pan and Tilt Head for Video

Hi,
Has anyone tried Wireless Remote Control Pan and Tilt Head for Video like this model http://www.dreamyant.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=23 ; or any other model, for smaller video cameras like CAnon HV10/20 ?

If so, kindly five ur comments & suggestions,

Thanks
Susan Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I use the sunpak ap-200w shown here: http://www.tocad.com/video/ap200.html. I don't know if it's any more or less capable than the product you're looking at. All I can say for sure is that within its limitations, it adequately controls my cam2.

So, what are the limitations? Here are a few:

It pans up, down, left & right as advertised, but there's usually some camera shake when it first starts moving, and when it stops. (Definitely not smooth starts & stops like having a person behind the tripod.) I only use it to move the camera to a new filming angle, never to film a moving object or person.

The sunpak's sensor for the incoming infrared signal from the remote control is in front of the unit. (Looks like it might be the same for the unit you're looking at.) If your setup calls for you to be positioned to the side or rear of the unit, you need to use other devices to get the signal to the front of the unit, or have a 2nd person operate the remote control from the front. But, if you have a 2nd person to do that, better to use that person to operate the camera rather than use a remote controlled head.

Of course, to accurately remotely control the camera, you need to know what its pointed at. So, you need to either run a wire from the camera to a monitor that you can see while remotely controlling the head, or, wirelessly transmit the video signal from the camera to a monitor you can see.

Obviously, if you get a remote controlled head for your cam2, you should totally test out out your entire setup before using it for real. And, practice doing that while you're operating your cam1.

It's really cool to be operating one camera while simultaneously operating a second camera some distance away. Best part is you never have to worry about your cam2 person not showing up for work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads