What quick release adapter do I need? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What quick release adapter do I need?

Apologies for the rookie question, but I just spoke to someone in pro video at B&H, and they couldn't come up with the answer either.

I currently have a Libec LS-38 tripod, which has a sliding quick release system.

I'm intending to buy a Bogen 560B fluid monopod, which supposedly has some sort of quick release system of its own.

I also have a Spiderbrace, which simply has a screw.

My question is, is there anything I can buy that will allow me to easily move between all 3 of the above camera supports? Or at least between 2 of them?

I've read a bunch of threads related to this, but haven't really understood how this would work, and B&H's not knowing makes me wonder if it's possible. Any advice (and specific model #'s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't think you will find any way to do that. Even a Bogen Tripod head will not match the Bogen monopod from Bogen. Different sizes I believe.

Mike
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Brent:

Check this adapter assembly out. I just bought it to mount on a Steady Stick I bought. I comes with one quick release plate for your camera. The assembly has threaded holes from the bottom that mount to standard tripod threads. So you can attach it, for instance, to your current tripod's quick release plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Mike -- thanks for your input.

Chris -- interestingly, just before the B&H guy gave up, he suggested that very item. But when I asked him "what exactly do I attach to what" in relation to my particular tripod, monopod, (and possibly the Spiderbrace), he said that he really couldn't figure it out, and he tried to find another salesperson, but I got left on hold...

So can you explain how this would work? And would I have to buy 2 or 3 of these assemblies and use parts of them?

Thanks,
Brent
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz
Mike -- thanks for your input.

Chris -- interestingly, just before the B&H guy gave up, he suggested that very item. But when I asked him "what exactly do I attach to what" in relation to my particular tripod, monopod, (and possibly the Spiderbrace), he said that he really couldn't figure it out, and he tried to find another salesperson, but I got left on hold...

So can you explain how this would work? And would I have to buy 2 or 3 of these assemblies and use parts of them?

Thanks,
Brent

Simple answer, yes, you would need two or three of them! If that seems practical to you, I guess go for it.

Mike
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, practical...maybe not -- convenient, definitely.

So, you guys are saying that on my Libec tripod, I'd simply attach the bottom assembly of the Bogen adapter to the top of my existing Libec sliding plate...so therefore when using the tripod, I'd have a sort of "sandwich" arrangement, where my Libec plate would slide as normal, but I'd have two more slabs of metal in between that and the camera?

And then I could attach another Bogen bottom assembly to basically any monopod, and another one onto my Spiderbrace...and basically I'd have 2 spare Bogen sliding plates lying around?
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yup! Plus you will be adding height. Oh, and I forgot you had a Bogen monopod, so you will need three.

Mike
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Right -- is adding height a bad thing, a good thing, or neutral?

I'd be most concerned that sticking in those extra layers and screws would lead to less stability of the camera itself, flexing when panning or tilting, etc.

Or do you think this is a non-issue?
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Right -- is adding height a bad thing, a good thing, or neutral?

I'd be most concerned that sticking in those extra layers and screws would lead to less stability of the camera itself, flexing when panning or tilting, etc.

Or do you think this is a non-issue?
Height from the center of the tripod head is the problem. It's like adding items(weight) to the top of the camera. It throws the forward and rear balance off when you tilt.

I really don't think that it will be enough to do any real harm, unless you have a really big camera and a lot of "Stuff" on top of it.

Again, unless you have a real heavy system, I don't see the screws as a problem either. Just make sure they are attached properly one time, and they should stay fixed.

Best of luck, and let us know how it works out.

Mike
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks very much, Mike and Chris -- you've both been a tremendous help.

Incidentally, my camera is a V1U...and I'm hoping to add the DR60 hard disk recorder when that ever becomes available. But even with that, a mic, potentially an on-camera light or a wireless mic unit...I'm going to assume the whole assembly would still be considered "light" for the purpose of adding the extra inch or so of height I suppose we're talking about...

Also, my tripod head is a bit overkill for this particular camera, so it's possible the extra weight could actually be a help in that sense.

Brent
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Major Player

So what you need to do is buy a bunch of different cameras. Attach a top plate to each one and then you can mix and match cameras and tripods at will!

This seems to be a missed marketing opportunity. I have a tripod and monopod and wanted to do the same thing. Bogen will sell you an extra plate but not the base--weird.

I work at a TV station where we use Sony Cameras. Every tripod has a Sony plate so you don't need to worry about having the right equipment.

Ah, if I ruled the world, this wouldn't happen (sorry, I've been watching Pinky and the Brain DVDs)
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah, its kind of goofy. When I ordered I thought they actually did n't send a camera plate with it. Description is kind of vague, so I ordered one to go along with it, because I do have two main cameras, the FX1 and VX2000. My original Bogen Manfrotto 503 set up had a plate, so now I have 3. No fear, I will actually use it on the bottom of my cobbled together 35mm adapter.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks very much, Mike and Chris -- you've both been a tremendous help.

Incidentally, my camera is a V1U...and I'm hoping to add the DR60 hard disk recorder when that ever becomes available. But even with that, a mic, potentially an on-camera light or a wireless mic unit...I'm going to assume the whole assembly would still be considered "light" for the purpose of adding the extra inch or so of height I suppose we're talking about...

Also, my tripod head is a bit overkill for this particular camera, so it's possible the extra weight could actually be a help in that sense.

Brent

Well the adapter and plate will add about 1/2 inch, and weight might be all of 8 ounces, maybe 12 tops... so those issues are that big one way or the other, in my mind.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #14
Trustee

I am in the same boat, as I am looking for a quick release plate that I can use on the Bogen small fluid head and on the monopod.

As I will be buying this swivel tilt head for my monopod...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ku=5491&is=REG

... the quick release plate is the same. So I am buying another one for the cases where I will be using two cameras. Then I can pick any of them to be on the tripod or monopod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=179175&is=REG

But I am also facing another problem: using a shoulder support. As I can't find what would be the "mating bay" for above, I'm considering using this combo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=80660&is=REG

This system I would also use to quick release portable light or LCD monitor from the hot-shoe of Z1. What do you think?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #15
Trustee

Here's another quick release system that I find interesting and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SVR-SIMA-...e=UTF8&s=photo
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads