ISO Suggestions For Stabilizing A Rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ISO Suggestions For Stabilizing A Rig

Hi Folks,

I am currently looking at this Davis & Sanford Pro Vista tripod at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search as it is within my budget and appears sturdy enough to support a DVC30 with XLR box, AT825 mic & shock-mount at an extended-height.

My purpose it to use this tripod to tape shows in small clubs where space is at a premium and having the ability to shoot above crowds is important. I had previously been considering a Bogen 560B monopod but am not sure it would be able to handle the weight of the above-mentioned gear.

I'm wondering what techniques I could use to safely bring the legs of this tripod closer together (approaching a folded position) yet still have them fully extended as well as the column at max height? I am trying to take up as less space as possible on the floor and achieve the best shooting-height.

I've thought of using some sort of weight tied to the feet and/or some gaffer's tape--any further suggestions? Maybe something a little less bulky than a weight to attach to the feet to make it more stable? I do not plan on leaving the rig unattended, but I am concerned about the possibility of club patrons bumping into it not to mention the overall practicality of this set-up in acheiving a steady shot.

I'm open to any & all suggestions and thanks!

~Mike
Michael Rowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads