Sachtler System 8 SB SL MCF for JVC hd 250? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 5th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #16
Major Player

If you are fine with 1-stage legs and are only going to use them indoors (so a ground spreader is the only thing needed as well) you are right. I think the combination that you have in mind is perfect (regardless of the quality of the head which I cannot really find any feedback on).

I would shoot in nature and my goal is to do Animal Planet/National Geographic type of documentaries so for me I think Carbon is the way to go because it will better resist the elements. It is also slightly lighter (but not enough to justify the price difference on that criteria alone).

But really, for indoor use a metal alloy is the way to go.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sachtler system

Hello Mr. Van Eck:

Just out of curiosity, I checked the price of the System 8/100 SB ENG CF on the B&H Photovideo website. It was $4559.95 (US). I was oddly surprised, however, to find that the larger system, the DV-12SB ENG system, which has the same tripod legs as the 8/100 and replaces the head with the greater weight bearing capacity of the DV-12SB fluid head, is priced somewhat lower, at $4399.95. How would one explain that difference?

However, the two model's differences notwithstanding, they are both rather costly. I am now more confused than ever!
Best regards,
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #18
Major Player

I have no idea. I do see that the DV-8 you mention comes with a hardcase. But if they are priced the same, I would go for the DV-12. Anyway, those prices are above my budget so no Sachtler tripod legs for me. It will be a Sachtler head only with Gitzo/Miller legs or a Vinten kit. Not sure yet.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Sachtler system

Hi:

The 12 comes with the hard case as well but, in reality, I am not sure that I can squeeze it into my budget at this time either but I am considering it.
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Ronald,

I know how expensive the Sachtler tripods are. So I know how hard it is to make a decision.

If you purchase the right Sachtler tripod, it will outlast many cameras and provide many years of excellent service.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Sachtler system

Dear Dan:

I agree with your sentiment, however, chosing the right tripod system is becoming a major task.

After reading the myriad of posts vis-a-vis the dv8 and 75mm legs, I have begun to lean towards the DV-12SB ENG which is a 2 stage carbon fiber setup with the 100mm bowl and the DV-12SB fluid head. Aside from the cost of this beast, I wonder if there will be any incompatibility, in terms of weight and balancing, with my HD250 and accessories. Any thoughts?
Ron
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Ronald,

It should be fine as the weight balance range is proper.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Sachtler system

Dear Dan:

Well, now I have to find a way to squeeze that system into my budget!

Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads