Sachtler DV-12 SB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sachtler DV-12 SB

Hi:

I just received a new Sachtler DV-12 SB SLMC and cannot seem to cause the touch bubble to illuminate and wonder if the batteries are bad. The downloaded manual indicates that the batteries can be changed by prying open the battery holder but, unfortunately, it does not describe its location.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance,
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Congratulations on your purchase! The battery is behind a hatch located just above the pan drag adjustment ring. Look around the circumference and you should see the hatch. You'll have to pry it open with a screwdriver.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bubble light

Hi:

Thank you for your congratulations and reply.
I did notice a discontinuity in the circumference and guessed that it might be the batter holder but I was reluctant to take a screwdriver to a six thousand dollar tripod without forknowledge of the potential results. Strange that the batteries should be bad on a new device but, then again, anything is possible.

Thanks again for your assistance,
Ron
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Touch Bubble

Hi Tim:

I removed the battery holder which slid out with the minimal force exerted by a fingernail. The batteries tested good with a multimeter, so, I cleaned the contacts with an eraser and re-inserted the holder. The light works, however, it requires a rather significant whack with the tip of a finger to get it going. I think that an out of the way push button would have been more accommodating and finger forgiving, afterall, there is hardly enough room for an individual with a large fingertip. Anyway, it is what it is!

Thank you once again for your assistance.
Ron
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

No problem Ronald. I'm glad you didn't have to take a screwdriver to your new tripod. Yeah, it's too bad about not having a small button for the bubble. Most other heads have a button. Blame that German minimalist design philosophy I suppose :)
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dv-12

Hello Tim:

I spoke to the Sachtler representative about the "tapping" issue and it turns out that there may be a translation error in the manual. It should read PRESS instead of TAP. Exerting a moderate amount of pressure on the bubble level's clear plastic window does indeed ignite the light ... varying the pressure alters its duration. Potential problem resolved!

Thanks again,
Ron
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Major Player

What are your first impressions about this combination?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

First Impressions

Hi:
In response to your question regarding the Sachtler DV-12SB/tripod combo package and first impressions, my reply is simply: spectacular!
It took less than 3 minutes of initial set up to make all the necessary adjustments (plate position, speed brake and drag) for my JVC HD-250U with Anton/Bauer battery and HD100 hard drive attached to its rear. From there on, it was a simple matter of snapping the camera plate onto the head; everything was reproducibly set.

It's an expensive rig but clearly a valuable addition to one's arsenal.

Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads