O'connor 1030 counter balance question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

O'connor 1030 counter balance question

Hello thanks for looking, I just got an o'connor 1030 and I think my counter balance adjustment is broken. I was wondering what excactly this feature does and what the counter balance range is in pounds? Will I be able to balance a 12 pound camera with this head or not? Any info on this head would be much appreciated thanks.

Joe
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Major Player

The counterbalance feature allows the head to remain stationary when you tilt the camera up or down, even with the drag off. I assume you have the 1030B and not the 1030S. If so, the maximum payload the head will balance is 39 lbs at 4" CG, 30 lbs at 6" and 24 lbs at 8". AFAIK, the minimum payload is close to zero. So your 12 lb camera should work. Note you have to spin the counterbalance dial numerous times to move from zero to maximum. That dial is driving a fine thread jack screw that moves up and down inside the counterbalance mechanism.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks tim, I don't know if its because the head is so old or what but its extremely difficult to turn the counter balance dial and after turning it 2 or 3 times all the way around it got harder and harder to turn and I didn't notice any real change in the heads counter balance so I just thought it was broken. Well I decided to give it another try today and after 30 minutes of turning it about a 1/4 turn then resting my fingers for a bit then tilting the head back and forth then turning the dial again I finally got it down to where I needed it. Thank you Tim for the reply it gave me some reassurance that I was suppose to turn it as much as I did even though it probably wasn't suppose to be as hard to turn as it was but all I care about is that it works now and so far I love this head very smooth a big step up from my 503. thanks
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads