How to replace tripod heads? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to replace tripod heads?

This may seem like a stupid question, but I have very limited experience with tripods. I currently have a SLIK sprint tripod with a ball head on it. I would like to get the Bogen 501 head and place it on the SLIK legs. How exactly does the Bogen head attach to the legs? Do I specifically need bogen legs for it to work? Would I need to disassemble the ball head that is on now, and attach the new head to the pole that extends up from the legs? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ben Crosbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The 501/503 heads (and most in this class) have a female 3/8" x 16 thread (coarse) on the bottom - if your Slik has a 3/8 MALE thread already, just unscrew the old ball head and the Bogen should thread right onto your legs.

Oops - just checked on the sprint at B&H, and it's apparently a 1/4-20 thread, doesn't say whether male or female. Sorry... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ben,

I used to use a 501 head on a set of Gitzo photo legs not unlike your Sliks...
I used a Manfrotto universal leveller to get the thing level.. worked well for that...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=203536&is=REG you will probably need to take the ball off as I'd imagine it would be hard to use and add the leveller I mentioned.

But I would say that the photo type extending legs are a real pain for shooting video.. getting it all level will probably be very fiddley... Also depending on what camera you put on it not very stable.

I soon got fed up with mine and got a set of 351MV legs that were a big improvement... You simply undo the three catches and all the legs drop down and can be locked off quickly... you then level the head and a way you go.. so much easier..

regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

From what I found, it seems only cheaper "photo" heads have the 1/4 - 20 mount. Something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

So I would have to upgrade to better "video" legs to get a "video" head like the 501.
Ben Crosbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Ben,
If you shop around you can get the 501 kit with a set of leg plus a carry bag...you'll probably get it for under $400.

Bear in mind that the 501 in not a true fluid head, it is not sprung loaded and won't balance... make sure you lock off the camera if you leave unattended....the 503 is a better head.

I've just updated to the Libec LS38... maybe some of their other pods might be worth a look if funds are not up to a $400 tripod... again depends which camera.
But whatever you won't regret getting a proper video tripod.

regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Lots of regular photo tripods also have a 3/8 threaded stub so no need to go for real video legs - but if I were buying a tripod all over again I might opt for the video version and use it with my still camera.

A lot of the Bogen/Manfrotto still camera accessories (like panoramic heads) use the same 3/8 attachment as the 501 head.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads