Where's a good place to try out heads/tripods? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Where's a good place to try out heads/tripods?

I got a new camera recently (Sony Z1U) and have been looking at this forum hoping to find tripod recommendations - only to see that personal preference seems to be a major factor, and that ultimately one should follow the "try before buy" approach.

For me, that's easier said than done - due to the complete lack of retail stores in my vicinity that carry professional tripods. However, I have an opportunity later this month to take a little detour on a trip that could take me to B&H in new York City. I'll also be in Las Vegas later this month.

I have ordered a lot from B&H and have always been very happy with them, but before booking a trip to New York just to visit them, I'm looking for some feedback on whether that's going to be worthwhile (specifically for a tripod selection and purchase). Are they going to have a decent selection in the store to experiment with? Will I be able to take it with me right away? Any recommendations for Las Vegas that might be worth looking into?

FYI, I'd like to stay below $1,000 for the legs, head and a case. The Manfrotto 503 seems to be a popular choice, but I'd like to try one out first, and I am entirely unsure about the legs (I need a tall tripod, 6ft at least, 7ft would be better). My current tripod is fairly cheap and unable to support the Z1U, so I am sure anything in the price range I am targetting will spoil me.

Anyways, I look forward to your comments and recommendations!

- Martin
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

When in New York, in addition to B&H, be sure to also visit our sponsor Abel CineTech. They have an extensive touch & try area as well. http://www.abelcine.com/store/home.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
I got a new camera recently (Sony Z1U) and have been looking at this forum hoping to find tripod recommendations - only to see that personal preference seems to be a major factor, and that ultimately one should follow the "try before buy" approach.

For me, that's easier said than done - due to the complete lack of retail stores in my vicinity that carry professional tripods. However, I have an opportunity later this month to take a little detour on a trip that could take me to B&H in new York City. I'll also be in Las Vegas later this month.

I have ordered a lot from B&H and have always been very happy with them, but before booking a trip to New York just to visit them, I'm looking for some feedback on whether that's going to be worthwhile (specifically for a tripod selection and purchase). Are they going to have a decent selection in the store to experiment with? Will I be able to take it with me right away? Any recommendations for Las Vegas that might be worth looking into?

FYI, I'd like to stay below $1,000 for the legs, head and a case. The Manfrotto 503 seems to be a popular choice, but I'd like to try one out first, and I am entirely unsure about the legs (I need a tall tripod, 6ft at least, 7ft would be better). My current tripod is fairly cheap and unable to support the Z1U, so I am sure anything in the price range I am targetting will spoil me.

Anyways, I look forward to your comments and recommendations!

- Martin
the 503HDV isn't out yet, but supposedly has gel packs. I have a 501, and just don't go there. I'm going to try out a 516, or just give up and save up for a Miller. Bogen/manfroto used to have some nice fluid heads that used the hexagon mounting plate. $130 range 10 years ago. if I could find a used one some where, that would be the trick. Used up to 8 lbs on those all day long, no worries.. At least I think they were fluids... better than my 501 anyway, which makes me wonder about the 503. Just fair warning.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads