Light weight tripod and head for Canon HV20? (also HV10) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 10th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I found a monopod last week. The Manfrotto 680B. It does have a nice big plate on top and fits under the A1, EOS400D and 20D.

And it has a reasonable price too..

(picture included)
Attached Thumbnails
Light weight tripod and head for Canon HV20? (also HV10)-680b.jpg  
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sipe View Post
Okay, hopefully this is the right place and I can get the right answers here.
Hi Eric. Actually the correct place would be in our tripod forum, especially because you are considering multiple uses. I've moved your thread there, but left a temporary re-direct in the original forum.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Seems like a great and reasonably priced monopod, i guess the only thing it "lacks" is its release plate but for 60 bucks or so, it seems perfect.

Now for a tripod! =)
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #19
Major Player

Monopod Suggestion

Eric,

Give the Manfrotto 560B monopod a look. It will serve two purposes 1) good for photo (the head unscrews revealing your camera mounting screw) and 2) good for video. I use this monopod for filming wedding receptions and concerts where I can have a cameraman on stage but be unobtrusive. For my camera set up I removed the supplied head and attached my bogen 503 fluid head to the monopod. Works great!

Jonathan Schwartz
CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #20
Major Player

I am curious about a good tripod / head in the sub $1k range for the A1 too... Any thoughts?
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #21
New Boot

Tripod and head in the $100 - $200 range

Hello, I just got a HV20 and will be doing mostly scenic shots with it with some zoom. I was wondering what tripods and heads you guys would suggest would be the best in the price range listed? There seems to be some pretty good deals on Bogen and Manfrotto stuff on eBay, I could probably pick up a $400 - $600 setup used for my price range. Do you think this would be my best bet? What specific models should I be looking for?

A few people are suggesting the Velbon DV-7000, as far as new stuff goes, is there anything better than this in my price range?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ith_2_Way.html

Thanks for your help.
James Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Be Careful!!!

I have had problems on eBay, while still being very cautious. Read fine print seveal times over. I hope you have a better experience than I have.
Congrats on your new purchase. I hope to buy an HVR-Z1U very soon.
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #23
Inner Circle

i HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THESE, b&h YOU CAN GET A VINTEN VISION 3 FOR UNDER A GRAND!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
i HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THESE, b&h YOU CAN GET A VINTEN VISION 3 FOR UNDER A GRAND!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Are these good? I mean, I know Vinten has a reputation but I am curious how well it work with the weight of the A1...?
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Doug......

If that question was about the Vinten Vision 3 (I didn't check the url) then, yes, it's good.

Mine turned up two days ago along with a Manfrotto 528XB 'pod. It's is a combination that I can only describe as awesome.

The head is smooth, relaxed, massive (by comparison with a Manfrotto 503) and solid. The quick release plate is much more substantial and, with the recommended #2 spring, it balances my A1 with ME67, Rycote Softie, Rycote CCA adapter and Sennheiser G2 receiver an absolute treat.

It goes where you want, stops when you stop and just stays put. You can put it at any angle of tilt, once the camera is balanced, with absolutely zero drag set, and it will stay there forever. In short, compared to my 503, there is NO comparison (this IS NOT to put the 503 down - for what it cost, it's not a bad head).

Matched with a Manfrotto 528XB 'pod (what a BEAST!) it is utterly mind blowing.

I knew I had equipment problems once I upped to HD, but it wasn't till I had that set up running the other day that I realised just how bad my problems were.

Don't try this combination unless you're ready to bin whatever it is you're using now - 'cos that's exactly what you will want to do!

(It's even made me realise I'm a better videographer than I thought - getting what I did with what I was using before - sheer sorcery!)

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #26
Trustee

Increase Weight of a Small Camcorder?

I'm looking at the HV20 and would like to pickup a Sachtler DV6SB will Miller legs, but the camera is too light for this head.

I've considered the DV1 (much cheaper, not nearly as good) which is designed for small camcorders. But if I add a 35mm adapter, FF, rails, mattebox, etc, my rig becomes too heavy for the DV1.

So, I'm wondering if it makes sense to somehow add weight to a small camera to get it to work with the bigger video heads like Sachtler's DV6SB or Vintens' Vision 3? Anyone try this?

Thanks much as always.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I'm not sure why you would want a tripod that outclasses your camera, unless you plan on making major upgrades that would fit the class of the tripod, which in all would be a good idea but I have seen people with the full intention of upgrading from there DVX100 to a Varicam, end up sticking with the DVX and regret spending so much on a Sachtler HotPod. I would just get whatever matches what you plan on using at the time and maybe make room for a minor upgrade.

But I'll give you what I experienced anyway. I mounted a micro-CCU cam, think CCTV/security camera with a VF mounted to it - onto the standard Bogen 3066 head I use. I loosesned friction to the lowest, and everything was either very resitant to movement, or fluid, slow. I'm not sure if the models you are looking at have counterbalance springs, but the solution would be to have a spring that matches your camera, possible the least resistand, and then have the interchangeable spring that matches your camera - keeping your camera as only what you need.

To just add weight, mount your receivers to the camera, use a battery pack for a light maybe. If you had the MultiRig (DvTec), or any other handheld stabilizer that allows you to mount to the tripod while the camera was still attached to the rig - that would add considerable weight.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #28
Trustee

Yes, I do fall into the trap of thinking I'll upgrade some day soon, just not now. I really think an HV20 is good enough for the first phase of my documentary, which is talking head interviews. An extra $2.5K on an XH-A1 just doesn't seem justified to me. Esp. when the image difference is pretty minimal under good lighting. I also like the idea of using a small camera.

That said, I add an adapter, mic, xlr adapter, and I'm overweight for the DV1.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #29
Major Player

David Lynch added 80 pounds deadweight to a Vx2000 when shooting playstation ads for sony.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ralph View Post
David Lynch added 80 pounds deadweight to a Vx2000 when shooting playstation ads for sony.
So, that's what happened to that little Associate Producer. LOL

sorry I just couldn't resist.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads