Miller DS20 vs. Cartoni Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Wrangler

Miller DS20 vs. Cartoni Focus

I'm considering either the Miller DS20 or Cartoni Focus to use with my HD100 (heavily loaded).

Given the similar price, does anyone have experience with both and can help me make a decision one way or the other?

Thanks!
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Miller. Always Miller.

I've been shooting Betas for over a decade at different places. Lots of different places, and I have used an absolute ton of tripods.

I can say with impunity, that I prefer Miller tripods above all others, hands down. I shoot five days a week with a Miller Arrow 30 carbon fiber, and it is thrown in and out of a truck, free of a case, in the back of a van and used in ENG, in the rain, snow, fires, whatever. Eighteen months of complete abuse has simply worn a little paint off of the rub points (actually, it looks tougher to me now).

It still even moves like brand new. Sure, there is a little bite out of the foam where I dropped it on a barb wire fence I was climbing over it. It has been tipped over on concrete at least a dozen times in a flat run news situation. It's been sat on, beat up, and everything other than run over by a car.

Still as smooth as the day it came out of the case. Doesn't budge in a windstorm.

I've shot with the Solo Series as well. I love those tripods, too. Wicked nice.

Get the Miller. It costs extra because it's worth it.
Alex Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Major Player

not all miller are equal

I cant speak to the miller vs cartoni debate, but as to my ds20, I just cant see being as enthusiastic about it as alex is over his arrow.

If you can afford an arrow or solo, i think millers are dreamy. The ds20, for me, is "pretty darn good". I can't help but wonder if there is a better set of sticks for the money. Its still quite an effort to get a fluid move while zoomed in.

Its possible that my miller spanks the cartoni and i'm just expecting too much from it... I'd be curious to hear from a cartoni owner to see if they have as much enthusiasm for their focus as Alex has for his arrow.

-my 2c
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Major Player

At work, we have DS-20s for our Z1s and they're okay. Maybe ours need maintenance, but even with the tilt friction all the way off, there's still way too much tilt drag. It might not be as bad with a heavier camera.

After using a Cartoni Focus for a few hours yesterday afternoon, I would definitely choose it over the Miller if I ever get a tripod for my Z1. The only downside I saw was the head seems to pick up more (unwanted) vibration from my hand while fully zoomed in than the DS-20 (probably that extra tilt drag). I didn't adjust its settings very much so it could possibly be tweaked and improved.

All in all, I highly prefer the Focus over the DS-20.
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Trustee

I have a Miller DS25 and I think it is pretty good. Intelligent placing of the leg adjustment clips, and a convenient built in carrying handle. Head is very smooth. My only gripe with it is that it could do with more spring tension adjustments (there are only two) which means that you can't get neutral balance with most cameras.

Vinten are much better in this regard.

Vinten and Miller are expensive, but you get what you pay for. A good tripod is an investment that will last you many years. A cheaper tripod won't last as long or be as convenient, so you may end up spending as much in the long run due to replacements etc. You won't regret spending that bit extra on a set of sticks.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads