Head and Legs Compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 17th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Head and Legs Compatability

Well, I've decided on the Vinten Vision 3 head but their legs are just too pricey for me now, especially with a $600 mid-level spreader. I would like to use the Manfrotto 525MVB legs with the Vision 3 but I'm unsure about compatability. Can these be combined and would there be some sort of adapter required?

Thanks.
Dave Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Dave.........

Good choice of head, the 525's are possibly a tad under par under such a great head, but as I believe they have a 75 mm bowl, you should be good to go.

There "can" be an issue with the length of the mounting bolt on the Vinten, it's quite a bit shorter than the Manfrotto's (well, my 503's anyway) which means that on my 528 with the Manfrotto 100 mm to 75 mm adapter fitted there's only half a turn on the locking knob before it falls off (I got around this by using a reducer from B. Hague in the UK - not that it's an issue for you as the 525 is 75 mm to start with [ I think]). The Vinten fits fine on my Manfrotto 520 sticks, which are 75mm - no issues except as below.

Additionally, the grip collar on the Vinten handle has a wider diameter than the one on my 503, so the range of leveling adjustment isn't as high.

All that said, you'll love it in action. That $600 spreader sucks, doesn't it? With a bag @ $400 the FibreTech Vinten I'm looking at tops out @ $2700 - you cannot believe the heartache that is causing!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Soucy; June 18th, 2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Finger trouble again!
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads