Vinten Vision 3 compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Vinten Vision 3 compatability

I would like to purchase a Vinten Vision 3 head.
What I want to know is can I use it with my Bogen 515 sticks.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eo_Tripod.html

In know I'll need an adapter to put the Vinten 75mm bowl in the Bogen's 100mm mount. Is that all I need to know?

Also, does anyone know if I can match a Bogen pan handle to the Vinten head? I can understand paying $1000 for the head, but $270 for a second pan handle? That's just silly. I bought a second telescoping handle for my Bogen 516 head and it only cost me $40. I can't imagine that a Vinten handle is worth that kind of money and I really want 2 pan handles (The Vision 3 only comes with 1).

Thanks!

-Vence
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Vence........

Yes, the V3 will fit into a 100 mm bowl system with an adapter - tho' the Manfrotto/ Bogen adapter is such that on m 528XB 'pod, the V3 sits so high there's only 1/2 turn on the adjust handle before it falls off. I got around that by using an adapter from B. Hague in the UK, tho' there's doubtless many others available.

Note also that the collar on the V3 adjust handle is a larger diameter than the Manfrotto 501/503 handle, so there is not as much adjustment before it collides with the underside of the head assembly.

The pan handle on the 503 has a different bolt size (metric) to the V3 (imperial?) and thus will not fit, and vice versa (I tried).

On a personal note, I think the 515 sticks are a shame under a V3. For such a great head, I'd up the ante in the sticks department if the budget allows. That's just my PO.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; June 26th, 2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Still asleep.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Definitely good to know about the thickness of the Bogen adapter ring.

Personally, I've been quite happy with the 515 legs. They're not bottom of the barrel, by any means, and I can only afford to swap out the head right now. I think a quality head is much more important to the shot than a step up in legs.

>>>Note also that the collar on the V3 adjust handle is a larger diameter than the Manfrotto 501/503 handle, so there is not as much adjustment before it collides with the underside of the head assembly.<<<

I don't have a 501 or a 503 head, so the comparisons to those aren't something to which I can relate. I currently have a 516. To what adjustment are you referring? I'm not quite sure I follow you.

-V
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi again......

The adjusting handle which threads onto the main mounting bolt at the bottom of the head has a freely rotating collar to grip the underside of the receiver. The collar on the V3 is larger than on the 501/ 503 (and in all probabilty other Manfrotto heads as well).

This means that there is not as much adjustment available to level the head before the larger collar collides with something on the underside of the receiver. Not a big issue, but noticeable if going from one to the other. I did have a look at swapping them over, but owing to the different thread sizes and the corresponding outer rod diameters, it wasn't realistically possible.

As I say, not a biggie but for-warned is for-armed.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Ive used a bogen handle from a 3063 with the vision 3
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #6
Major Player

>>>As I say, not a biggie but for-warned is for-armed.<<<

Chris, I couldn't agree more, which is why I posted here before just buying the head. I really appreciate the info.

Peter, that definitely helps. Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads