Floor Spreader with Miller Solo Leg? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1
Trustee

Floor Spreader with Miller Solo Leg?

This may be an oxmoron: using a floor spreader with solo legs. But a lot filming will be done in people's carpeted living rooms. One of the guys working on the project is worried that a set of Miller Solo carbon fiber legs will leave marks in the carpet and wants to use a tripod with a floor spreader.

I have no idea if his concerns are justified, but can you use a spreader with with solo legs? I looked at Miller's website, but couldn't figure out a definitive answer.

Thanks much!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Trustee

We have a lot of Miller sticks and three Solos. Never seen a floor spreader on any of the Miller legs and certainly not on the Solo. I can't see them leaving marks on carpet. Probably less risk with the buffers wound in as the spikes will go into the pile with less risk of leaving marks. However I'd give the legs a good brush down with a stiff bristle brush first and then a wipe down with a damp cloth.
If you're really worried buy some carpet offcuts, the legs on the Solo don't spread very wide so the bits of carpet don't need to be very big. Your other option is to buy some PVC pipe endcaps or furniture buffers to put under the legs. One concern is any of these things make the tripod less stable.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Trustee

Bob, on a more general level, do you think the Miller Solos are a good choice for indoor shooting? The head will be a Sachtler DV6-SB and the camera either a heavily weighted HV-20 or more likely an XH-A1.

I'm leaning towards the Millers because they seem to be very stiff and good for quick outside setups. Just wondering if you feel they work well inside in a more controllable environment. Oh and thanks for the tips above. I'm sure they will prove very helpful!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads