Attaching a Telescope to the DVC30 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 25th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Okay, so do you think that this telephoto lens - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._37_mm_2x.html - will work well on the Panasonic AG-DVC30? The camcorder manual says the DVC30 filter diameter is 43 mm. This telephoto lens comes with adapter rings of various sizes including 43 mm. Just wanted your thoughts on this. My budget can be up to US$70.00.
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Helen,

I think you would be better off with the Raynox 2.2x 2020pro and use step up rings from the 43mm to 58mm - It's more than you're budget, but you generally get what you pay for:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hoto_Lens.html

Longer term you should be looking at a Century or Sony teleconverter as they are much better quality.

Cheers
Peter
Peter McMurdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Okay, the brand Raynox is the same though, so the design and materials must be very similar. The one you're suggesting is .2x more plus it says High Definition. Anyway, you guys are real pros so I can imagine how this post must make you cringe when you saw my link! :-D
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:12 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter, I went with your suggestion and got the Raynox 2.2x 2020pro with step up rings from 43mm to 58mm.
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Here are 2 stills from the video timeline. The one with the parrot was taken using the Raynox 2.2x lens and the other is the camera's normal zoom (of 16x).

The parrot was in a palm tree about 50 feet high, and from where I was standing, the tree was about 200 feet away from me. The Caiman may have been about 50 feet away from me.

This note added afterward: The shot with the parrot is at the fullest zoom, there was vignetting for most of the shot so this telephoto can only be used at its full zoom which is what was explained to me throughout this post. (I just re-read the entire post and can now begin to relate more to things that you all mentioned.)
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching a Telescope to the DVC30-parrots.jpg   Attaching a Telescope to the DVC30-caiman.jpg  

Last edited by Helen Habib; January 16th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the update and pics. As Trinidad and Tobago are quite small places I wondered if you have heard of a Mr B in Tobago, he runs amongst other enterprises bird watching trips. We were there 3 years ago when we managed to film the White tailed sabre winged hummingbird. After trekking through the rain forest we were lucky to see and film it. Mr B is quite a character with his matching coloured bowler hats and t-shirts

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Mick, your description of Mr B sounds vaguely familiar and I think I may have come across mention of him on the Internet while looking up local tour guides. I don't know of him first-hand though.

Nice to know you got some footage of the hummingbird!

After looking up some Tobago guides this seems to fit your physical description: http://www.mytobago.info/reviews/pet...ture_tours.php

(Perhaps not though given his real name.)
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi Helen,

Unfortuantely it not him. I have done a search and could not find anything on him other than a small reference in trip adviser. He works out of the Inn on the Bay Hotel near Scarborough. The B refers to his surname which is in fact Blackman. When I get time if a can post a pic I will, as he is a very colourful character.

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Okay Mick.
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Raynox lens at full zoom.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching a Telescope to the DVC30-moon.jpg  
Helen Habib is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land