DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Filming Seals - advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/108365-filming-seals-advice.html)

Russ Holland December 4th, 2007 09:33 AM

Music for my film

All,
Maybe a silly question, but looking at the site Chris suggested to me, which kind of license do I need to purchase the music under to use in general web-based not for profit wildlife film?

Do I use the Non-Commercial creative commons license? or something else. I didn't know there would be this much to it.

I don't want to end up getting into trouble, I've never added music to anything before, just sound effects.

Thanks,

Russ

Mat Thompson December 4th, 2007 10:37 AM

If its non commercial and for your own use I really wouldn't worry about it to much. I find it surprising that it common practise in wedding video to use pretty much anything going and that is commercial in a sense. But If you are bothered then go for the non-commercial option and it should be fine!

Per Johan Naesje December 4th, 2007 04:41 PM

Russ,
as Mat says I think you are fine with this.

Regarding using copyright music, I have experienced several times when I have been on photoexhibitions and without mentions any names, well known (still)photographers are using music of famous artists like Pink Floyd, Alan Parson Band, Vangelis etc... when they screened their photos to the audience.
This was open exhibitions where audience had to pay money for watching.

Confronting the photographers afterwards about if he was allowed to use the music I only got a crookedly smile and a shrug.

Just wonder what have happened if I have used his photos without asking or paying in one of my own films! Musicians need money for their work, so also the photgrapher. Lets not brake any rules by using others work in our own productions without paying for it.

Bob Thompson December 4th, 2007 05:59 PM

One important thing I have found after going out over 50 times filming Chinese White Dolphins is to try and avoid filming the horizon. If you don't see the horizon, the viewer has no idea if the camera if off level or wonky.

Good luck

Bob

PS: a autofocus camera has an advantage as it is one less thing to worry about, while trying to avoid falling overboard in rough seas

Geir Inge December 4th, 2007 06:08 PM

Hi Russ.
You can also check out this web site for music/sound: http://www.freeplaymusic.com/
Read all about licensing and terms of use :)

All the best.
Geir Inge

Russ Holland December 5th, 2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thompson (Post 787275)
Try and avoid filming the horizon. If you don't see the horizon, the viewer has no idea if the camera if off level or wonky.

He he he... Yeah, I did have this trouble in some shots, I spent what seemed like more time getting my tripod level than actually shooting exciting footage! Lets just say that some shots are being cut from the final.

With regards to music, Geir, I'll check that site out too. Matt, The only place this film will be seen is here and my personal website.

Thanks again,

Russ

Russ Holland December 5th, 2007 04:44 PM

The film

Hi all,
I've finally finished the film. I'd love some comments from you all, I'm quite eagar to take advice for another wildlife outing - I'm well into it now :)

A few things though, after playing it back to myself about 5 times I'm now not too sure the music is the right choice. After searching what seemed to be all day for a piece that would 'fit' I finally chose this one, although I don't know where it was from or who it is by, without searching for it again by site and name, a mistake I shall not make again.

Maybe it's too long? Loads of footage turned out to be essentially the same, repeated shots, so I tried to get the most variety and action, which I think I did but maybe trim a few? The music is a tad repetative?

Also, it's my first film I've encoded in Quicktime h264, so feedback on quality would be good too, thanks.

Anyway, enjoy.

http://dutchfilms.russthedutch.net/m...film_small.mov (34mb)

I've loved making this.

Regards,

Russ

Geir Inge December 5th, 2007 05:31 PM

Nice video Russ.
Maybe a bit too long, but very nicely done.
You may short'n it a bit and maybe put in some more cutaways at some places. The music was fine and relaxing and I liked the way you put in some sounds from the seals :)
This could easily been a great doc if you mix in some narration, facts about the area and the seals, mixed with the music and the sound of seals.
I have to look at it again to give you more exact details about my opinion though. The quality was fine on my computer.
Again, I liked it very much :)

Geir Inge

Eric Gulbransen December 5th, 2007 09:30 PM

I'd like to do a piece on seals real soon. Looks like you enjoyed yourself. I'm still real new to this (how long can you say you're still real new at something?).

I can't edit for beans but I hire a guy who works carpentry with me during the week, who does pretty well at editing in his spare time. He keeps repeating a lesson some pro told him to always keep in mind, "If YOU think something runs a little long, then everyone else will have already changed the channel.."

I try to keep that in mind while I fumble through clips.

On your compression settings, at that size and length I bet Compressor could get that to @ 12mb. But since you're already hosting it at 34mb and you're fine with that, I'd play with the settings and increase the size a bit. I bet you could go at least 480 and still be under 34mb. Slide your quality down to 50%, turn down your audio a bit and see what you come up with. A little on the quality slider goes a long way.

Nice work. Makes me wanna get my feet wet.

Per Johan Naesje December 6th, 2007 03:04 AM

Russ, you got some very nice scenes there, liked your peace very well!
But as the others has mention maybe a bit too long and repeative.

Pros:
Your opening was nice, good that you show us the sign and make some establising shoots.
Close up of cubs very nice, also the details of muff clapping
Good that you show us that this is an area where people can take pictures behind the fence.

Cons:
Some unsteadyness and camerashaking (I know steady picture is hard to archieve!).
At 01:38 you got a "hard cut" and and unwanted zoom. There was some hard cuts other places too, but this was the sequence where it was most visible!
Some of the scenes was too long and repeative.
In the pan at 03:28 your horizon is out of level.

I'm not sure about the gull at 02:36, maybe I would have removed it! What was it feeding on btw?
Overall a good piece and you have a great talent for wildlifefilming Russ!

You have to join us for uwol-challenge in 2008 Russ!

Russ Holland December 6th, 2007 04:07 AM

Thanks for the Feedback!

Now that you mention it, the gull was a tad too much! It was eating afterbirth from the pup just born from the stained cow.

Oh yeah, that horizon in the pan isn't level! The hard cut I did notice but thought the shot complimented the scene well, just the shot quality was poor.

It was difficult to shoot still, although I did use my tripod 98% of the time, I did do some handheld particularly on closeups through the fence. It was rather windy and at full zoom maybe there was a slight shaking caused by the wind?

I really thought about putting some narrative on it, but I really don't have the voice for commentary and felt it would have spoilt it. There was loads of information on various websites I could have wrote a script.

Definately agree to you saying it's too long, there wasn't much I wanted to cut out of it, but I might do a re-cut based on your feedback and also see if I can get a better compression and file size - I'm not happy at the 34mb file size really, I'd like it smaller but I'm only really used to using media encoder presets and I still have a lot to learn about compression - this one I didn't use a preset and I was happy with the quality but not the filesize.

Anyway, thanks again, sorry if i've missed replying specifically to feedback so far, I've taken it all in and I think another re-cut is in the pipeline. Still no narrative though - I'm set on that one! my voice is rubbish!!!!

Ta

Russ

Peter McMurdie December 6th, 2007 06:07 PM

Hi Russ,

I was filming at Donna Nook on Monday and Tuesday morning - It doesn't look it, but it is a very difficult place to film, the seals are great and are very close, but that driving wind off the North Sea is always going to cause problems.

The film - I enjoyed the film very much, I don't think it would be too long if there was narration. Now Russ I know what you've said about your voice - I hate mine too - most people do. But, I had to bite the bullet and narrate my work - no-one else was going to do it. That said everyone else thinks it is ok and I'm sure you will find the same - give it a go and show just the people you know to get feedback. If Alan Titchmarsh can narrate wildlife programmes - so can you!

The gull and afterbirth scene wasn't too much at all, that was there in front of your eyes - it was real, and is nature in reality - My film will contain far worse - but will probably put a warning note on it.

Getting a push focus on a VX2100 was pure genius - I used to own one so I know how hard it is to achieve with a servo focus ring.

I liked the blooded bulls and the bull chase across the sand, and I especially liked the affection and intimacy between the cows and pups - they are just so cute!

The quality was fine on my PC - and didn't mind the download time.

Someone mentioned establishing shots - at Donna Nook there almost isn't any - it's virtually flat with sea in the distance - you will get away with one or maybe two.

Music - I liked the music, chilled, gentle and set the mood.

Overall Russ I think you did pretty good - correct me if I'm wrong but I think you said it was your first wildlife film (I know you've made other stuff - seen them on your website).

Keep at it and rethink the narration issue - go on give it a go. The most important thing for me is getting out there and enjoying our wildlife, sometimes I'm out all day and don't achieve what I set out to - but I always see something interesting and learn something new.

Well done you - and I'm sure you'll not forget Donna Nook. Lovely place and lovely creatures.

All the best
Pete

www.petermcmurdie.co.uk

Geir Inge December 6th, 2007 08:31 PM

Hi again Russ.
I've watched your video again and I agreed with Per Johan in some of his comments. Some how I liked the gull and understood that it had to be from the baby seals birth. It would have been nice though to actually see the birth, but I guess it was bad timing :)
My father is a former seal hunter (yes I know he shouldn't be doing it, but it's over 50 years ago, now he's retired) and he shown me pictures from the ice at Greenland.
About narrating/voice I think you are in good company, we all think our voice sound a little bit weird when we hear it ourself, at least me.
Over all it's a great video, but need to be short'n a bit.
I hope you will join the UWOL in February 2008.
It's a great challenge and since I started in the first round in 2007 I've learned a lot from the other participants.
It's a great bunch of wildlife videoing people :)

All the best.

Geir Inge

Russ Holland December 17th, 2007 05:49 PM

Re-Cut

Hi again, right sorry for the delay, I've actually had an accident with my camera, so it's currently in repairs. I was getting ready to film my new chinchillas and dropped it onto my kitchen floor which is solid stone...from a 5 feet height, now its seeing green and the mic has smashed and the lens is cracked...

Anyway, while that's in hospital I have done a recut of the seals film. I've done the hardest thing and been very brutal - cutting out a good minute of footage that when I kept looking at it was actually almost the same as a shot i'd already used but a different seal, so the repitition has been hacked away, a few cross dissolves have been put in place (i'm not a fan of transition's I think too many look "home movie")

But, because I no longer have a camera I've not done any narration. I'm happy with this one though, I'm glad I chopped the minute out. Also worked on the compression but still not mastered it playing as it's downloading so there's a fair delay while it loads before you can watch it, sorry.

Anyway, enough of my babble, thanks again for all your feedback, I think this is a smoother, more fluid cut all your help is appreciated.

I must say, Peter's comments truely inspired me, they were lovely thanks.

http://dutchfilms.russthedutch.net/movies/donnanook.mov

Regards,
Russ