Anna's Hummingbird - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Well fancy that; you on the far side of America Don, tracking down Paul Doherty's UK website before I did. Sure wasn't I talking to him in March 2006 hoping he would make his video "Raptors of Britain & Europe" available on DVD a.s.a.p. Well done. I'm wondering how you picked him out of thin air? I'll have to go back to the gym to keep up with you. Please remember you're 68, like me, and you're supposed to be slowing down, OK!

I am ordering a couple of his DVDs right away. Thank you for the tip. His video was great. I really am looking forward to seeing how well he did with image quality on XLH1. All I know is he has been giving out about the viewfinder on it. I think he's not the only one. The real news is that he did not let it stop him getting on with life and videography.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Brendan,
Paul and I go back many years. I have hosted him at my home when he has been in my area, and I met up with him in Norfolk the last time I was in the UK several years ago, and had a great time birding together. Paul is a great friend, and some one who is very skilled and knows his equipment very well. Paul had a great deal to do with me getting into video from film. It just took me longer than I would have liked though. When I first met Paul, he was using a Canon L1 Hi8 camera, which was the first Canon consumer video camera to feature interchangeable lenses.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Need to buy how to info.

Just happened to see this site. I just got the cannon xha1 and am going to try to video some local birds. I am a birder, just not a videoer. (is that a word?) What book or DVD do you think would help me? I live in S.W. Fla, and we got great birds. Thanks.
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Hello Kenneth,
Welcome to DV Info, and you found the right group that has the same common interest as yours. I know of no book or DVD that is specific to bird video. The first thing I would do is go to this forum,

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

and let people know who you are, your equipment, and what you intend to do. There are a lot of people in your area with cameras that also are into shooting wildlife. Try to hook up with someone that will help you learn your camera skills, or it might be the other way around. Study the manual that came with the camera, and start getting out into the field and practice. You already have an advantage over most people who want to shoot birds, and that's because you are a birder and know where to find birds and know their habits. Even though the birds in Florida are somewhat easy to get close to, your soon going to find out that the 20X lens isn't going to get you close enough for some of those birds. This item might help in that department.

http://16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169...72-can-a1.html

You are also going to have to get a decent tripod and leveling fluid head. You don't have to spend a lot of money starting out. Manfrotto makes some very good and affordable entry level product. You might look at the Manfrotto 501 HDV head/745XBK Tripod Kit which also includes a bag. You might ask the tripod question to this forum to get other opinions. Also, it's always good to monitor the other forums, especially this forum.

Canon XH G1 / A1 HDV Camcorders

You didn't mention whether or not you have been photographing birds or not, but if you have, then you should know the basics of photography, which would make moving into video fairly easy. The people in this group have all levels of skill and experience, so don't be shy in asking questions. Good hunting, and we will all be waiting for your first clip.

Also, just to let you know, there are a couple of good public sites for posting bird videos and looking at what others are doing.

http://surfbirds.com/video2/index.php

http://www.birdcinema.com/index.php
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Bird

DEAR DON,
Thanks for the tips. I bookmarked all the sites and looked at them. I will now go over and see the neighborhood link. I was a photographer back in the 70's. The hardest thing I have to remember is to stand still for more than 1/60th of a second. My arm get tired quickly, and I now shake more than I did as a kid. While in the field do you think a mono pod would work well? I have a tri pod for my scope, and I know I need a fluid head. Lots to learn......
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Hello Kenneth,
I think your well on your way with your past photography knowledge and your present birding skills. I don't think you would be happy with a mono pod. You think your steady with one, but when you are full out with the 20X lens and play the footage back, you will see shake. Florida offers a tremendous amount of video opportunities, so take advantage of what's out there. There are limitations with using only a 20X lens, but you will still be able to get close shots of birds. Getting close isn't as important as getting shots of birds along with the habitat that they are in. Florida offers the the best of both worlds, birds and scenic vistas. Mix both together in great compositions that tells a story. Also, take advantage of the other things that's part of Florida, namely butterflies, flowers, mammals, ect. Just as a side note, I use Sony tape and like it very much. What ever brand of tape you decide to use, stay with that brand all the time. Don't switch around using different brands, or you might have problems down stream with clogging up the head on the camera. Good luck with your new adventure, and let me know how things a going....Don

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land