DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Fox cubs - (From earlier this year) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/109722-fox-cubs-earlier-year.html)

Mat Thompson December 7th, 2007 02:15 PM

Fox cubs - (From earlier this year)

Hi guys
Thought I'd post up this sequence I shot earlier this year. As you can see I was able to get pretty close to these guys and they were a lot of fun!

Enjoy :)

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/mat/foxcubs.mov

Ian Thomas December 7th, 2007 04:42 PM

would love to see it Matt but nothing happens when i try to watch it
Ian

Ron Chant December 7th, 2007 05:37 PM

Great shots Mat, what time of day did you take this footage

Geir Inge December 7th, 2007 06:35 PM

Very nice shots of playing Fox cubs, Mat.
Bright and clear colours.

Best
Geir Inge

Bob Safay December 7th, 2007 07:15 PM

Mat, those were great. How did you manage to get so close. Did mama come looking for them. Again, great shots. Bob

Mat Thompson December 7th, 2007 10:11 PM

Ron: It was at about 6 pm and about an hour before dark. I think the XL2 is better in low light than people give it credit for!

Bob:I was hoping she would but she didn't show up. Maybe this year I'll get her! These shots are virtue of some inside information at a local school.

Maybe this year I'll get the whole family!

Per Johan Naesje December 8th, 2007 02:01 AM

Mat,
some nice foxcubs you got there! Liked the way you could film without seeming to disturb them although you can see that they are watching you.
The fox has become more and more an urban animal, so the park surroundig did not degrade my impression of this, even though I could want it in more woodland area!

Peter McMurdie December 8th, 2007 04:18 AM

Hi Mat,

Lovely shots of the fox cubs - they always put a smile on my face. The fox is definitely one of my favourite animals - 2000 years of human persecution, and yet they still adapt and survive - even under our noses.

Great to see them and they looked very healthy - thanks for sharing.

All the best

Pete

wwww.petermcmurdie.co.uk

Yeo Wee Han December 9th, 2007 07:44 PM

Matt,

Very good light and action here. One nit I have is your tripod head seems to be locked down too much. When the foxes are tilting their head up and down, they go out of frame too much and following them with a slightly loosened head may be a better choice.

OTOH, some shots have got a wee bit too much vibration and that may be due to the long focal length that you might be shooting with.

Cheers

WeeHan

Dale Guthormsen December 10th, 2007 08:47 AM

Matt,

Nice footage of the vixens!!

I particularly liked the footage of the one digging up grubs! Foxes eat a lot of things and oftentimes get a bad rap. I have been looking for a den for the last couple years. Up here most foxes are killed and eaten by the vast number of coyotes!!
some years back the game department released swift foxes here. Myself and a friend did the telemetry work to locate them, all but one were found inside a coyote den.
Keep up the shooting of them!!! really nice footage!!

Mat Thompson December 11th, 2007 06:49 PM

Hey guys. Many thanks for your responses.

Yeo wee han - Thanks for the critiques, the vibration were why the shots were locked down so much. I have since aquired a hefty tripod head and I'm now looking for a support - I think things should be considerably better at the long end of things with the new rig!

Dale: Yeah the digging footage is nice I like the way they stamp first, looks similar to what Polar bears do when they are breaking through into snow holes for seals!

Per: Well spotted, I think you can see they have a eye on me although they really weren't bothered at all by my presence as long as I stayed fairly still.

Peter: They certainly looked healthy and hopefully mum will go back to a similar place and bring up another family this year. If I can get there a bit earlier when they are small I'd imagine she'd be making more regular visits.

Trond Saetre December 12th, 2007 03:54 AM

Hi Mat,

You made a great film.
Hope your new tripod will let you follow them a bit more instead of just having to lock down the tripod. It would have improved your film a little.

Thank you for sharing!

Chris Hull December 13th, 2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Thomas (Post 788976)
would love to see it Matt but nothing happens when i try to watch it
Ian

or me sadly.

Mat Thompson December 13th, 2007 05:47 AM

Right click, Save as - and you need quicktime installed