Canon 150-600mm T5.6 - ever tried? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon 150-600mm T5.6 - ever tried?

Hi,

From what I noticed, the very impressive Canon 150-600mm T5.6 seems to be often on use for wildlife filming (e.g. BBC, ...). Being into wildlife also, I would be very much interested to hear from friends here who had an opportunity to try it.

Naturally, I expect the weight (over 4 kg) to be a critical issue, but how about the overall picture quality out of it? Any troubles in relatively low light conditions (like under forest canopy)?

Thanks.
Philippe Fayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from HD to UWOL.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Philippe,

If you can find one of these lens, it has great quality but some of the modified Canon FD 150 - 600 mm lenses are not able to zoom and maintain focus. As they were made for stills camera's the actual need to maintain sharp focus while you zoomed was not necessary.

I would love to have one of these lens but they were extremely expensive when first produced
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Phlippe,

Very interesting fact that you noticed that this lens was used by the BBC....this lens interest me alot a few weeks ago but lack of info turned me off. Now with your observation, my interest is very much revived.

Bob,

Would you say that this lens is a sufficient one for the Canon H1?

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Phlippe,

On what cam have you seen it used by BBC ?
Keep in mind that on 2/3 sensor the magnificatin is halved !
So to equel the magnification of the 150-600 on 2/3 sensor you will need a zoom lens like the Sigma 120-300/2.8 on a 1/3 sensor.

Sassi
Sassi Haham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Take note that the Sigma 120-300/2.8 have gained a bad reptutation of not having a true FL of 300mm on the long end. There have been accurate and extensive tests showing that the longer end is really a 260mm. There was one where the mag rate showed that it compared only to a Nikon 70-300 zoom @ 210mm!!! The Sigma 300-800 is a different story altogether and lives up to its good name.

Both lenses are however superb lenses but the shorter one is just really dishonest marketing.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
New Boot

Not sure about the cams, but the zoom lens has for example been on use several time while doing "Planet earth" (see the making of from the shots of polar bears, snow leopards, ...).

Perhaps Per could tell us about his past experience when using the FD version of the lens with a XL1 or XL H1 (+ lens support)?

Cheers.
Philippe Fayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ahhh....I know where you are coming from Philippe. I have the books and yes, it should be an Optex-modified 150-600 and they come in black!

Sadly, the 150-600s are rare nowadays. Seems like the Sigma 300-800 is the only other option. The plus will be the ability to use the Sigma on a EOS digital body and have AF to increase the keeper rate.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #9
New Boot

I'm late to the table, but I actually have two Canon 150-600's and have used them both with the XL-1 and XH-1. They are great, there isn't anything like them. The quality is remarkable. The only thing comparable in my mind is the Canon 33x Optex converted lens, but it costed near $55,000, and Optex doesn't exist anymore...

One of my 150-600's is an Optex conversion to PL mount. The other is still in FD mount.

If anyone is interested, I would sell my Canon 150-600 f5.6 FD and the FD-XL/XH adapter. Send me an email, I'd be happy to send you photos.

isaacbabcock@yahoo.com
Isaac Babcock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land