DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Wild Boar`s dining-table - Live feed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/113338-wild-boar-s-dining-table-live-feed.html)

Frank Hool January 27th, 2008 03:55 PM

Wild Boar`s dining-table - Live feed

Hello from long ago! Do You remember Black Stork project? -> http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95909 . It is suspended while heroes are in egyptland in the vacation. But it will continue hopefully in april this year.

But upcoming is wintertime daughter of Stork project. So here it is: mms://video.eenet.ee/siga

I'll give You all possible details later. But go on comment and ask if something bothers.

Bob Thompson January 27th, 2008 05:29 PM

Frank,

They must be using a new camera as the shot is very sharp, but all I can see is some pig's s***.

My question is how are they lighting the area ? I can see that there are 2 shadows on the ground from the large tree but will this amount of light disturb the pig

Bob

Frank Hool January 28th, 2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thompson (Post 815488)
They must be using a new camera as the shot is very sharp, but all I can see is some pig's s***.

Hello Bob, oh yeah, You're right. I have only once seize them. And it was about 16.00-18.00 GMT. But it will shift to earlier time slowly. Because of beginning spring. I hope we'll publish some recordings of their presence there with time on the picture.... this would help catch them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thompson (Post 815488)
My question is how are they lighting the area ? I can see that there are 2 shadows on the ground from the large tree but will this amount of light disturb the pig

Pigs do not care about artificial light and they don't care about most weirdest things which are located hihger than meter of their eye level. So told me wild animal expert.

But lights are located as follows: if You'd look down at area from the top and the camera is on the 6 oclock then key light is around 10-11(where normally is background) and fill light is somewhere around 4 oclock. Key differs from fill only by it's reflector and its a bit closer. So key gives a bit more intensive spot and shaddows. Fill works as shaddow killer.

This technique of lighting is very often used by wild shootings.

About the bulbs we use there... i have to verify that information: what was exact model of those bulbs but can You imagine its 250W per piece. So we lighted up this scene with only 500W!!!

Frank Hool January 29th, 2008 08:04 AM

mms://video.eenet.ee/arhiiv/2008-01-28.asf
this is recording. Time is in the picture. Our local time setting is GMT +2.

Jesse James January 31st, 2008 03:33 AM

Kewl!! Haven't seen any hogs yet but will keep checking.

Frank Hool January 31st, 2008 04:26 PM

tonight is insane!!! they run nonstop feast already five hours.... if therer is anybody able to check it right now ...just do so.

Annie Haycock January 31st, 2008 04:41 PM

Hey - that's pretty impressive!

David Watkins February 1st, 2008 09:44 AM

watched this a couple of times today - nuthin!!

I like it but it's like waiting for the announcement of an AWOL Competition theme !!

Anyway what the approx cost of setting something like this up?

David Watkins February 4th, 2008 02:40 PM

Yahoo - saw something eating there, I think it was a beaver, seemed to have a flat wide tail, must have been a beaver? Anyone confirm that at 20:17 GMT 3rd Feb.

Where is this webcam?

David Watkins February 4th, 2008 03:01 PM

back again...maybe not beaver...maybe porcupine....?

looks like a large dumpy rodent of some sort....

help me out here

Annie Haycock February 4th, 2008 03:02 PM

I think it's in Estonia - follow the link in the first post of the thread.

I can't quite make out what the animal is there at the moment, but it doesn't look like a beaver.

Just had an idea, and checked my mammal book. I think it could be a raccoon-dog. It was introduced to the European part of the old USSR from further east, and has spread to Finland, Poland and a lot of eastern Europe, and even into parts of France via Germany.

David Watkins February 4th, 2008 03:06 PM

hi

It must be porcupine..I'm sure it occurs in E Europe..doesn't look like a carnivore....fascinating...

David Watkins February 4th, 2008 03:07 PM

raccoon dog... you are probably right..Haha!..can I count this a a mammal lifer?

David Watkins February 4th, 2008 03:17 PM

yep...I reckon Annie's right...Raccoon Dog ...porcupine is more southerly in Europe.... I tried whistling thinking it might move nearer attracted by the noise but that didnt work.....

might be a good record, I'm sure our resident expert will advise in due course

Annie Haycock February 4th, 2008 03:29 PM

Donn't know about counting it as a lifer, more like a TV tick - if you're into that sort of thing. But there is something satisfying about seeing it and identifying it for yourself, even if it isn't in the flesh. A bit like seeing my first kentish plover on a Welsh wildlife program - I couldn't understand the commentary, so it was definitely my identification.