DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Ultimate Field Kit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/113630-ultimate-field-kit.html)

Evan Shaw January 31st, 2008 01:34 AM

Ultimate Field Kit

Hey Guys. I've just found out that I may have pitched an idea for a show into a reality. It looks as if I'll be doing several shoots on outdoor activities such as rafting, rock climbing, orienteering, and general wilderness topics. My question is.. what are some of the things that you don't leave home without. This will be my first forray into Outdoor production, I've mainly been in sports and news up until this time. I'll be producing, shooting and editing myself (Gotta love it).

I'm shooting on an XL-H1 with both the stock lens and the manual lens. (I've gotta have my snap zoom!).

I'm just curious about what you guys have in your go-bags that I may have overlooked.

Also, any tips for shooting while belayed on ropes, in a raft or any other "interesting" situations would be great.

Thanks, and I'll be sure to let you know how it works out.

Evan

Yeo Wee Han January 31st, 2008 07:05 AM

Evan,

It would be good to have big garbage bags in case of bad weather. Ziploc bags for the lenses (with silica gel in them) will prevent fungus. Good quality UV filters on the lenses themselves will be excellent and very much needed.

A well-stocked first aid kit will be needed as well.

Cheers

WeeHan

John M. McCloskey January 31st, 2008 01:18 PM

Hand Warmers, bungy cords, bag you can fill with sand, cleaner tape, a smaller cam with water tight housing, wind protection for mics, GPS, roll of Cinefoil. OH yeah dont forget your Thermacell. www,thermacell.com

Dale Guthormsen January 31st, 2008 10:28 PM

Good evening,

I am not sure what you ment by snap zoom.

however, I would definitely have a zoom lens: either the 70/200 canon or perhaps the 28 to 300 canon.

Definitely rain slickers, I like the porta brace ones best.

polizer filter and nd and haze for lens protection.

Absolute best tripod you can afford!!!!!

A good shotgun mic!! at 300 an at 897 is a great mic for the price, you can spend lots more if you want.

I bought some bulk camoflage material. I keep it folded in a plastic tub in the truck. I can make a blind anywhere, use it as a gillie suit, whatever. I got mine at walmart!!

I bought some better camo material and made camo drapes to hang over my camera. Also one can make a skirt for your tripod if yu want.

heat packs to gaffer tape to your equipment, or put in your hands to warm up.

I bought neoprene gloves that fit tight on my hands for cold weather filming, I can actually manage the buttons and stuff on my camera. your hands may still get cold but you can at least function better.

A lanc remote for your tripod, great in cold weather.

Polyproplene long johns!!!!!!!! if you get wet the poly pro will still keep your body heat in, retarding hypothermia!!! I have had it and you do not want to go there!!

make a survival kit to keep in your truck at all times!!!

carry a space sleeping bag, folds so small you can keep it in a pocket easily!!!!

Battery powered heat socks!!! If you are setting in a blind or stationary the toes are first to suffer. Battery powered heated socks are great if you are not hiking miles and miles!

you can not film if you are not comfortable no mater how good your equipment is!!!

I am sure I forgot plenty, but someone else will cover it most likly.

Annie Haycock February 2nd, 2008 11:26 AM

Remember that if you have to use that space sleeping bag, do not wrap it tightly around you. It works on reflected heat, so is best wrapped loosely so the body heat can get to it and bounce back at you.

Liam Hall February 11th, 2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Shaw (Post 817508)
Also, any tips for shooting while belayed on ropes, in a raft or any other "interesting" situations would be great.

A second camera body is a must.