DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   How do they keep that lens dry?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/113691-how-do-they-keep-lens-dry.html)

Ben Winter January 31st, 2008 10:09 PM

How do they keep that lens dry?!

I've watched movies where the camera goes from underwater to above water in one shot, yet no water droplets on the lens glass are visible. How do they do that? In other shows--where the camera is running through a raining forest--the camera remains spotless yet there HAS to be water droplets landing on the lens.

My only uneducated guess is there is a spinning glass disk protecting the lens that "spins away" all affecting wetness. Is this at all accurate?

Markus Nord February 1st, 2008 01:27 AM

Hi Ben

I haven’t tried this myself, so I can’t confirm that it works… but, the tip I got is to use this type of car wax that you put on so the water rinse of without you doing something. One other thing I have seen is that the camera was on a jib and he started above water and entered the water whit the camera, then he played that part backwards. But is you going to try the second tip, make sure that you don’t got any thing in the frame above water that can be spotted going backwards.

My best tip is the car wax… I think that’s the one.

Geir Inge February 1st, 2008 07:53 AM

Hi Ben.
Here's a tip I used last summer when I was snorkling.
I took an apple and cut it in two.
Rub (carefully) the apple on the outside of the UWhouse lens glas, it will last for 2 - 3 min and you have to repeat. Do not do this directly on the camera lens :)

Geir Inge

John M. McCloskey February 1st, 2008 08:41 AM

rain X works good.

Jonathan Shaw February 13th, 2008 01:49 AM

I agree with Rainx or saliva works ok for a couple of dunkings

Greg Boston February 13th, 2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter (Post 818061)
My only uneducated guess is there is a spinning glass disk protecting the lens that "spins away" all affecting wetness. Is this at all accurate?

I saw something like that advertised awhile back. It was shown as a device to use on stationary cameras at sporting events such as football games.

As others stated, a product like RainX on the face of the housing lens would also work.

-gb-

Pat Miller February 13th, 2008 04:50 PM

There is a 'spinning glass system' that Panavision has thats used for film cameras. I've only seen it once as I primarily shoot w/ the 900/950 series and have never seen it on any of our shoots.
If you use any 'lubricants' like RainX I wouldn't put it directly on your lens but on your clear filter--just a thought.

Charles Papert February 13th, 2008 05:31 PM

It's called a rain deflector, and as several guessed it incorporates a spinning glass disk in a housing. Various companies manufacture them. One of the more interesting ones is made by Spintec which is quite small and light compared to older models.

Greg Boston February 13th, 2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 825896)
One of the more interesting ones is made by Spintec which is quite small and light compared to older models.

Bingo Chas, that was the unit I had seen awhile back and couldn't remember. Thanks for providing that link.

-gb-