DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Raynox HDP 9000EX 1.8x tele lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/113765-raynox-hdp-9000ex-1-8x-tele-lens.html)

Bryce Comer February 1st, 2008 08:16 PM

Raynox HDP 9000EX 1.8x tele lens

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I posted a picture of me & my camera in another thread & there was a lot of interest in my lens & i was asked to post some pics. I am using it with a Canon XH A1 & am very happy so far with it's performance. Please note though, that i am pretty much a rank amature in the world of film making so my eye for what is good probably won't be up to most of the people here on the forum.

From top left is the helmet at a distance of 10 meters without the Raynox lens fitted & at full zoom.
Top right is also 10 meters with the Raynox lens. Also at full zoom.
Bottom left is the helmet at a distance of 6.5 meters without the Raynox lens fitted & at full zoom.
Bottom right is also 6.5 meters with the Raynox lens. Also at full zoom.
All photos were taken with the photo function to card, the first 3 on full Auto but manually focused. The bottom right picture i had to close the iris a bit to stop the picture blowing out.

Dale Guthormsen February 1st, 2008 09:45 PM

Bryce,

thankyou for going to the trouble of making the comparisons!!

Are you knowledgeable enough to take stills out of your video footage for a similar comparison??

I am very impressed with the clearity of the 1.8x !!!

would love to try one on my gl2!!!

Bryce Comer February 1st, 2008 09:59 PM

Hi Dale,
I should be able to take some clips off some video if you like. What would you like to see?

Bryce

Dale Guthormsen February 1st, 2008 10:47 PM

Bryce,

Actually the same test but from video captures would be awesome.

Paul Mailath February 1st, 2008 11:02 PM

that's great - I'm really tempted. it will be really interesting to see some footage or stills taken from the same.

Vegard Paulsen February 2nd, 2008 03:49 AM

This was really nice :)
I found some test video of the raynox lens on youtube as well. Just search Raynox 9000 or similar. Not the best video but it will give you an impression.

Still considering this lens myself, but have to save up some $ first.
Is there another lens that do even more closeups, that fits on the XH A1 (72mm) or is the raynox the best one?

Bryce Comer February 2nd, 2008 05:00 AM

Hi Vegard,
I believe that from a technical point of view, the Schnieder optics lens is even better. (Resolution wise that is) The Schnieder Optics lens is 1.6x i believe, but you might want to check that. Apart from these 2 i don't think there's much else around. Also, from what i've read, 1.6-1.8x is about as much as you would want to go. Can't tell you exactly why that is, but i do remember reading it somewhere. As i said in my first post, i'm no expert, so i can only really give you my opinion on what i see with using the Raynox & what i have researched about other lens' out there.

Bryce

Vegard Paulsen February 2nd, 2008 05:19 AM

tnx :)
youre probably right about that 1.8 is the most you can put on before other problems tend to come up.

I will check out the shneider optics as well.
I guess i just have to buy myself a bigger camera with changeable optics the next time. hehe.

Dale Guthormsen February 2nd, 2008 01:02 PM

Good afternoon,

I have the scnieder optics 2x for my gl2. It is quality glass and as good as duplexes can get.

with a gl2 or A1 this is your only option.

You will always see softening at the far end of a duplex

I seldom use the full zoom capacity of the 2x for that reason.

I believe that is why they make 1.6 asnd 1.8 as that is the top end where you wont start seeing optic degradation. I would say I usually zoom to about 1.5 to 1.7.

I could post some comparisons on here if people wanted.

Heimo Vepsa February 12th, 2008 07:30 AM

Well!

My Raynox arrived today from B&H (ordered Feb. 2nd, would have been here already on 7th but i was on a business trip)! I'm happy to say that in contrast to my earlier post, it came with the lens shade :). What a relief. Now, if it only wasn't so dark here after work. Maybe i'll have to wait until weekend for tests.

Edit (Sorry, removed the link to post as it didn't open in a new window)

Heimo

Paul Mailath March 2nd, 2008 09:42 PM

Just wondering - does the Raynox allow the autofocus function or do you have to focus manually?

J. Stephen McDonald March 3rd, 2008 07:24 PM

Autofocusing with Telextenders

For almost 4 years, I've been using my Raynox DCR-2020PRO, which is a 2.2X telextender, on all my camcorders and still cameras. I've found that the autofocus works just fine, in all cases. The Raynox 9000 is an even larger lens, but less powerful, so I'd expect that it wouldn't hamper autofocusing, either. The 2020PRO would probably be very adequate for use on larger HD camcorders, but its 62mm mounting-thread diameter will cause vignetting through most if not all the zoom range on the 72mm models. On my 58mm VX2100, it vignettes at any zoom point below about 90%, but is still very useful for long wildlife shots. The 2020PRO has a resolution rating of 260 lines-per-mm and causes no loss of detail on an 8-megapixel still camera. The Raynox 9000 has a 340 line-per-mm rating, so it would be more than sharp enough for any video imaging.

Rene de Haas July 3rd, 2009 02:27 AM

Hi guys,

I'm curious, did anyone make a test video with one of these teleconverters?

Paul Mailath July 3rd, 2009 07:40 PM

What do you mean a 'test' video - do you want footage with and without the Raynox?

The pics in the 1st post give you a good idea of the difference

Rene de Haas July 7th, 2009 03:13 AM

Hi Paul,

I ment video's shot with teleconverters. I read about Ranynox, Canon, Schnieder. I would like to compare these.