the surfers POV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 19th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Trustee

the surfers POV

I'm organising the shoot for a surfing film in the next couple of months and I'm wondering about getting some footage from the riders POV. Anyone bolted a camera (in a housing) to a board? any other ideas?
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Paul .. This is a round about answer, but I was reading one of the Porsche forums where this guy posted his first video: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=409844

....I asked him how he did the outside work - and bought the mount he mentioned. I have not tried it yet because my water is still about 48f/8c, but I plan on using it on my kiteboard. (heavy rinsing required for saltwater use!) Given the weight; I'll make sure I have a neon float to find it. The first grip I made to attach the camera to my calf released - luckily the camera floats! You can see it at wetstuff.com

j i m
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Trustee

don't know that I'm game to use a suction mount in the surf. I'm thinking of getting a used board and fixing an adjustable mount with fibreglass on the front. I'll have to talk to some competent surfers to see how that will affect the balance and maneuverability.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've paddled-out for 20yrs... and if you tacked it to a longboard (8+') it would have zero effect.

For that matter, just glob a 1/4-20, stainless screw to the nose of any sized board (bring it up thru a 4"sq. of 1/4" plywood and glass the ply to the board) ..spin the cam down on the screw (you may need a threaded spacer) and have your mate press the button before he paddles in for one..

j i m
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Trustee

I talked to a competition surfer this morning and he's seen a clamp on mount. Evidently it's a small tripod arrangement with mounts to fit to the rail of the board and you just tighten it in place - shouldn't be too hard to make and it wouldn't hurt the board

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land