Honduras bonefishing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Honduras bonefishing

I was able to document this little story with my Sony HC7, an Ikelite underwater housing and Vegas 8Pro. My brother-in-law and I were lucky enough to fish a very remote island in the Bay Islands region of Honduras.

Please constructively critique it for me. I will be humbled by your opinions!!

http://www.vimeo.com/831083
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Jake

Been there done that, and there is no bigger thrill than having the bone take off on that first run. I can guarantee that it will be tough to pry that flyrod out of your hands now.

As far as the video is concerned you need to pay a little more attention to your sound design. Around the 3.30 mark you can tell where you tried to do some noise reduction by that hollow echo sound. It is easier to get it right the first time.

I loved the Interview with cut aways to the fishing. That is probably one of my favorite techniques. Personalises the video some how.

Keep at it, with a little more practice you will be up there with the big boys.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jim...Not sure what happened to my audio there, but your observations are noted and I will pay more attention to it. I often overlook audio. I wonder if I didnt reduce the audio gain completely when I was building it??? Can you pinpoint the issue?

Believe it or not, I just got back from Vero Beach...well, just a few miles away. I was filming Osceola turkeys, its an annual pilgrimage for me. Unfortunately, this year my Z1U and Ikelite was stolen out of my Pelican case while in transit...Us Airways baggage handling.

Ill be back next spring, if you need a camera man for a few days...Id love to shoot a trip!!
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi
Interesting film there… A few things you should think of while shooting WU. Keep the camera steady. I know, it is hard, but that is the key. You should also find an object and then shot, if you are shooting “swim shots” decide if you are looking at the side or front, don’t wobble between. You probably wanted to get POV from the Boenfish but for me as a UW filmmaker it was just wobbling shots. Shooting from the boat when it is moving is hard, Gates got a pole that you screw on to the housing, maybe you can build one for you housing and then you can stick it down in the water, which will give you a more stabile shot.
It is hard to shot both above an under water at the same time you what to be fishing, but maybe you need to decide, go on a trip to film or fish.

Over all a nice film, work on sound and UW shots.

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the critique..your opinions and ideas are of great value and I agree with them totally. I am going to build a boom for my UW housing immediately!!

Thanks again
Jake Latendresse
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land