First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Outdoors ...

Been up in north and spent all day outdoors shooting landscapes as it's the very lasts of this winter that we have trees covered by icy snow. Found the EF 28-300mm/f3.5-5 L lens highly useful with Red One and preliminary the image quality seems to be very good. Today there it changed back and forth from snowing to sun shine every five minutes and a lens from wide angle to a moderate tele is quite useful in conditions when it's difficult to change a lens without getting snow to the sensor.

The good news of the day was that the long lenses will work after a software update to the mount. The newest version of the long lenses such 500mm/f4.0 and 600mm/f4.0 with the IS stabilizer work already with the Birger mount. Found this once had a chance to make tests this evening. The problem is related only to those lenses which havea focus speed switch and as said this will disappear after a software update.

The last weeks I've been generating Cineform avi-files from the Red R3 raw files I've shot during the last year using Redcine. It has been a pleasant surprise to discover that shots taken in rather low light result in very low noise 2K 16:9 avi files.

Grading the raw files require some experience to get the best possible outcome. Redcine is a pretty good tool, it only takes quite a lot of time to export the files. So far I've graded each shot separately and then left the computer to process the files over night.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Major Player

Samples

Here are some samples of what I shot last weekend. The trees covered by icy snow are shot with the EF 28-300mm/f3.5-5 L (camera: 4K 16:9 mode) and a ND filter and the Great Grey Owl with the EF 28-70mm/f2.8 L lens (camera: 2K 16:9 mode).
Attached Thumbnails
First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-trees1.jpg   First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-trees2.jpg  

First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-trees3.jpg   First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-great-grey-owl.jpg  

Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM   #18
Trustee

Fab stuff Lauri, this is one of my favourite owls. Im trying to film Short Eared owls at the moment....if I could only get that range on them! I'm guessing you were about 15 metres ?

Last edited by Mat Thompson; March 23rd, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Major Player

I'd love to talk about your beautiful Great Grey Owl, Lauri, but recent photoshopping has wiped out my credibility (temporarily!).

I am much more impressed by the sheer variety in the cast of snow-creatures moving left-to-right across the stage in your bottom-left photo. That is a truly wonderful shot.
I would have thought that only humans of differing ages and sizes could convey such diversity but you have captured all those shapes and movement within a scape of tree tops in frozen snow ... quite bloody marvellous.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Lauri,

How about putting a bit of actual video up on vimeo HD??

Great shots!!!

we are still covered in snow and it is snowing al day today.

At least lauri has trees, Heck I haver a tuff time finding one, eh? ell, at least a naturally occuring one!
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #21
Major Player

Great shots! I could never tell these were taken with a video camera rather than a stills SLR.

My main argument for prefering the EX3 over the RED for wildlife is the limied reach. When I mount a 600mm lens on my EX3 I get an effective 3300 mm lens but when mounted on the RED it is still 600mm.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #22
Trustee

Ofer - Thats not actually the case, because you can apparently 'shut down' portions of the sensor, so I guess that simply gives more flexibility.

"In the 4K mode the factor is about 1.4. In the 2K mode there's another factor of 2, so a 400m lens in the 2K mode corresponds to a 1100mm lens in a 35mm SLR camera."
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:56 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Lauri

Could you post a little clip on Vimeo or other.

Gilles
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Ofer - Thats not actually the case, because you can apparently 'shut down' portions of the sensor, so I guess that simply gives more flexibility.

"In the 4K mode the factor is about 1.4. In the 2K mode there's another factor of 2, so a 400m lens in the 2K mode corresponds to a 1100mm lens in a 35mm SLR camera."
Thanks for the input Mat. A 400mm lens on the EX3 is like a 2200mm lens on a 35mm SLR which is significantly longer the the 1100mm you mention.
Generally speaking, although I have no experience with the RED ONE and I am sure it is a fantastic camera based on the images I have seen, I still think it is not the best camera to use for wildlife. Not enough reach as mentioned, heavy, huge files - looks like an over kill to me if you are not planning to show your work on the big screen.
The EX3 is a fantastic camera, coupled with the Flash XDR - gives you top quality footage which is accepted by every TV channel - 1920x1080, progressive, 4:2:2, 50-100 Mbs.
Cheers,
Ofer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Debord View Post
Could you post a little clip on Vimeo or other.
Just returning from shooting in the north. But, yes, I'll create some clip in the near future.

The slight problem is that I'm producing a large document taking couple years and according to the agreement not allowed to post any clips or clips similar to those that will be included in the final document.

Ofer, as Mat said it all boils down to the sensor size and clipping yields larger zooming factor. However, after got Red One I've pretty much given up of making close ups´with long teles. The nice thing of HD is that one can shoot images showing also the environment and I find them far more interesting than close ups. Or whenver I make need close ups I put a short lens and remote control the camera. But, of couse, this is a matter of taste.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen View Post
However, after got Red One I've pretty much given up of making close ups´with long teles. The nice thing of HD is that one can shoot images showing also the environment and I find them far more interesting than close ups.
Agree. Nature with animals instead of animals in nature ...

Sverker

check LentoVision: Birds.
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Major Player

I just got back from a deserted island shoot with RED, Arri / Zeis Master Primes etc etc. It was my first shoot with RED and the project is a feature on Sea Lions....

I loved shooting on RED, and actually found it relatively straight forward, a few little glitches and focusing is extremely critical. Probably the biggest challenge is the sheer size of the rig fully kitted for wildlife. There was only two of us on the shoot and we probably could have done with another at least. I have attached some piccy's below.
The other challenge is the amount of times we needed to lens change which was always a nervous time in the dust and wind.

Here are a couple of pics

http://www.ginclearfilm.com/images/s...joredsmall.gif

http://www.ginclearfilm.com/images/s...redsmall_1.jpg

Cheers

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Looks like you get into some great opportunities Lauri with some awesome encounters. I would also like seeing some video. Using a video camera for stills is not the same as a DSLR for stills. Having both a Video Cam and DSLR's I would never dream of capturing still images with my Video Camera as the image quality is just not there for that irregardless of what Video Camera you are using or what the MFG touts.
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Hi Lauri

Terrific shots with the Red. I to like the wide shots with wildlife, however, I find the medium and tight shots are also needed for great story telling.

Best,

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #30
Major Player

Sample video

Here's finally a sample video shot with Canon EF500mm/4.0L lens (without IS) and after 53s there's also the EF 1.4x II extender in front of the lens:

www.luontovideo.net/EF500mm-and-1.4x-sample.wmv

It's all shot in about 10 minutes from our backyard. So, perhaps better not to expect an artistic view. There is also a clear difference between this compressed and an uncompressed file.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land