HV20 and Ikelite housing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 and Ikelite housing

I'm thinking of putting my HV20 in an Ikelite housing and am interested to hear of anyone else's experience with this cam underwater or their views. I have the use of an FX1 in a Gates housing in this country and wondered how they would compare.

Thanks

Andy Davies
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Major Player

The big difference that you will notice:

FX1: Heaps better in low light, bigger (lots), heavier (not underwater though), much more stable, better wide angle lens options like the fathom SWP44 port.

HV20: Small, light, less stable, not so great as good in reduced light (due to single chip). I don't believe that you have access to manual white balance, you also have to look at the screen via a mirror and the Canon does not have the ability to reverse the circuitory. This can be a little hard to deal with.

The canon shoots progressive but the FX1 doesn't.

You also will probably need a monitor with the FX1 and you won't with the HV20.

The FX1 and gates combo is really a pro set up and the Canon / Ikelite is a bit more for the serious amateur.

Hope this helps

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help Jon. I wonder how much of a pain it is to use a reversed image. I'm thinking of taking the HV20 on overseas trips as I only have the use of an FX1/Gates as it is owned by someone else. Just wondered whether I would get comparable quality footage from the HV20.

Andy
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I actually forgot to plug the the reverse 'thingy me bob' into my Sony a couple of times.....

The reverse image is a bloody nightmare!!! I ended up just using the view finder. But I think that maybe you would get used to it if you persist. It would be ok for static macro stuff, but I found it very fustrating.

HV20 is a great camera though, other options depending on budget:

HC7 / 9 in a Gates Housing, also I believe Light and Motion are bringing out a new housing that will fit a heap of cameras which would be pretty good.

Hope this helps

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land