DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   New Raynox 3x Teleconverter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/121883-new-raynox-3x-teleconverter.html)

James Harring May 18th, 2008 11:05 AM

New Raynox 3x Teleconverter

Anyone have one of these?
HDP-7700ES High Definition
Super-Telephoto conversion Lens 3.0X

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrhc1/index.htm

Looking specifically to mount on Sony's A1 HDV cam, but any experience with any cam is appreciated. It seems most of the threads I read on Raynox are generally positive. My impression is it's not really zoom-thru, but for such extreme telephoto, I am thinking I likely won't miss that as I have the Sony 2x and usually avoid touching the camera to prevent shake. Better cam is not a possibility.

More from site:
With the HDP-7700ES lens attached, there will be no influence on F number of the master lens.
Magnification : Nominal 3.0X Actual 3.0X / Diagonal, 3.0X / Horizontal
Lens construction : 3G/5E Optical coated glass elements
Mounting threads : 37mm
Front filter size : 55mm
Size/Weight : 123 x 85mm/218g(7.68oz)
Minimum focusing distance : 10m/6m(tele-macro mode)
Effective zooming without vignetting : 9X-10X

Peter Rhalter May 19th, 2008 02:07 PM

What are you using the footage for? If it is to capture family moments or some other kind of "fun" footage that is one thing. If this is for "pro" use you will have to test it and see if it is usable. FWIW I've tried several 2X tele-converters on a Sony A1, including Schneider optics, and have been unimpressed with the results. YMMV.

Best,
Peter
The Bloom Blog: Wildflowers of California and Arizona
http://www.parkfilms.com/sandblossoms08.html

Dale Guthormsen May 20th, 2008 09:50 AM

James,

I have written this numerous times. The duplex are threeplex will assuredly soften you images. While they are not to bad on the front end of the telephoto, the image degrades as you reach out further. If you do not mind that then have at it, but if you are wanting real clearity then that would not be the best answer. as peter said, for fun stuff, OK.
I have a cnetury 2x for my gl2 and a 1.6x for the xl2. I hardly ever use them and I went to seperat lenses for the xl2, but at the time I bought them it was all I could afford. I still had a lot of fun with them and got some cool footage I have shared with friends.

James Harring June 1st, 2008 08:19 PM

Thanks

I already have the Sony 2x, found the image seemed acceptable as long as the legs were rock solid and stabilization was off. However a significant amount of my 2x video has some blurring due to tripod shake so sounds like the priority ought to be better legs, then evaluate how much blurring was from the legs or the doubler. I just assumed the former.

While I'd love a Canon A1 w/ 20x zoom, that's not gonna happen so that explains my interest.

Appreciate the feedback.

Mark Hartopp June 3rd, 2008 03:23 AM

Hi

I have a raynox HD-3032PRO/HD-3031PRO High Definition 0.3X Semi-Fisheye Conversion Lens on the Sony A1E. Cost me £60 and offers great result for the price compare to other.

Yes - its not perfect compared to century optics. but I have found that the image distortion at the long end of the zoom on the 0.3 semi give the footage that classic 60's 8mm fx.

I'm interest in 3x lens think it would a good option in the bag. Sure there is going to be inperfection compared to pro lens. But if your not happy with the results after an hour of testing send it back - simple.

I think Raynox lens are the best in that price range - if need a better clearer image you move up to Century Lenses, and so on..

let me know what you think, if you get it. or post some image grabs.

Steven Davis June 10th, 2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 880496)
James,

I have written this numerous times. The duplex are threeplex will assuredly soften you images. While they are not to bad on the front end of the telephoto, the image degrades as you reach out further. If you do not mind that then have at it, but if you are wanting real clearity then that would not be the best answer. as peter said, for fun stuff, OK.
I have a cnetury 2x for my gl2 and a 1.6x for the xl2. I hardly ever use them and I went to seperat lenses for the xl2, but at the time I bought them it was all I could afford. I still had a lot of fun with them and got some cool footage I have shared with friends.

Hey Dale, I was reading you post. I have all Sony cams, and was thinking of getting a 2x Impact tele from BHPHOTO, since I can't rent the lens anywhere. My project is a ceremony, and I'm going to shoot it from the back, one close and one wide angle. How much sharpening you think I would need to do in ideal lighting etc. I called all over the planet trying to rent a century tele, no dice.

J. Stephen McDonald June 12th, 2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Harring (Post 879496)
Anyone have one of these?
HDP-7700ES High Definition
Super-Telephoto conversion Lens 3.0X

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrhc1/index.htm

Looking specifically to mount on Sony's A1 HDV cam, but any experience with any cam is appreciated. It seems most of the threads I read on Raynox are generally positive. My impression is it's not really zoom-thru, but for such extreme telephoto, I am thinking I likely won't miss that as I have the Sony 2x and usually avoid touching the camera to prevent shake. Better cam is not a possibility.

More from site:
With the HDP-7700ES lens attached, there will be no influence on F number of the master lens.
Magnification : Nominal 3.0X Actual 3.0X / Diagonal, 3.0X / Horizontal
Lens construction : 3G/5E Optical coated glass elements
Mounting threads : 37mm
Front filter size : 55mm
Size/Weight : 123 x 85mm/218g(7.68oz)
Minimum focusing distance : 10m/6m(tele-macro mode)
Effective zooming without vignetting : 9X-10X

That last line in the specs gives you a warning that this telex is useful only at the very top end of the zoom range. The 220 line-per-millimeter resolution rating would probably be adequate for HDV. It's too bad they didn't make the barrel of it a bit larger, which would have extended its vignette-free range down a lot more.

I use the Sony VCL-DH1758 telextender 1.7X ($105. U.S.) on my HC9, with no visible loss of resolution. By my own analysis, I estimate its resolution as about the same as the Raynox HDP-7700ES, at around 220 lines. It causes vignetting only below about 35% zoom, so it is a lens you can leave on the camera for everything except wide shots or closeups. It was made basically for digital still cameras with 58mm mounting threads, so I got a 37mm to 58mm step-up ring for it from B&H (one of the few places that have step-rings with this much change in size). I also have a Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2X ($200.) that works with this step-ring on the HC9, plus an additional step-ring of 58mm to 62mm that came with it from the manufacturer. However, I have never used it on the HC9, for anything but a few tests to see if it would be functional. Because the 2020PRO gives a fine and sharp performance on my 8-Megapixel still cameras and my VX2100, I have a favorable opinion about Raynox lenses. Raynox has replaced this model with the DCR-2025PRO, that seems to have the same specifications.

If this new Raynox 3X telex gave very sharp, undiminished HD video images, even though only the top 10% of the zoom range is usable, it might be good for long wildlife shots. If it does cause some loss of sharpness, then I wouldn't regard it as having much value. I've done my share of early-adopting/money-spending. I'll let some other people buy this and give favorable reports before I get one. The lowest price I've found is $390. (U.S.) at B&H. A lot of money for such a small lens, with limited function.

Dale Guthormsen June 12th, 2008 07:20 PM

Steven,

I would be willing to loan you a 58mm century to try out if you are interested.

Dale

Steven Davis June 12th, 2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 892285)
Steven,

I would be willing to loan you a 58mm century to try out if you are interested.

Dale

It appears my V1u is 62mm and my Z1u is 72mm...........well drat.

Alan Craven June 13th, 2008 01:46 PM

The 58 mm Century works fine on the V1 with a 58/62 mm converter. The usable zoom range is about the same as with the Century fitted to my Canon XM2 (GL2). To my surprise the results show less chromatic aberration at maximum zoom than with the Canon.

I did not expect the lens to be usable on the V1, and assumed that I would have to buy the far more expensive Century 2X dedicated to the V1. Here in the UK, the 58 mm Century is around £400, but the bayonet fit lens for the V1 is £1053! With the US $ at around 1.9 to the UK £ too.