Motion activated recording hardware - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: Motion activated recording hardware

Will the new Go Pro cameras work with the trailmaster?
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #47
Major Player

Sabyasachi the TrailMaster TM700v requires a camera with a lanc port, which GoPro doesn't have, and it seems to only like the sony brand of camcorders.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #48
Major Player

Here is an IR trigger for GoPro cameras:

GoPro Motion Detectors
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #49
Major Player

This is very intriguing..... while the GoPros are lame in low light, the small size and weatherproof housing make it an interesting choice for daylight deployment. It would be MUCH lower profile than what I've been using. I've written that company and inquired about the possibility of a LANC adapter which might work with the GoPro and Trailmaster. Maybe the new GPs will actually be better in low light, too. I might keep a few of these Trailmasters for a while now!
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #50
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Reich View Post
It doesn't look like anyone has been on this forum for a while, but I'll try a post anyway.
I have 8 Trailmaster TM700v motion sensors that were used in a research project which is now finished. They all work perfectly, and have LANC cables as well as the Trailmaster light controllers. I'm not sure if advertising this kind of stuff is allowed here, but maybe someone knows where a good place to list these may be? They're pretty specialized and high-end as anyone who has experience with these units knows. I also have 10 Sony HDV camcorders (HC5s, HC7s and HC9s w/ batteries) that were also used. Anyone have any ideas where to find some interest in these?
Derek,
I just sent you an email through your contacts here. I am interested in your trail master units for sale. See the email, and if that doesn't work, let me know.
Neal
Neal Wight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #51
Major Player

Derek,
Please keep us posted when you get any response from Go Pro.

I am planning a project where I will need the trailmasters. If the Go Pro works, then it will be great.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #52
Trustee

Hi Derek,
Did you ever hear back from Cam-do about the lanc adaptor? I am also keen to see what they can come up with. The idea of using one of the new hero 3 black edition cameras is also very intriguing, but they don't actually say that the detector works with that cam. May be that they are yet to test it out.
Regards,
Bryce
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #53
Trustee

Ok, so i contacted Cam-do, the mob that have the motion activation trigger for the GoPro. Turns out, they are waiting on GoPro to release the 3D cable & firmware for the rear bus connector. When GoPro get that sorted out, Cam-Do can make a new motion detector. Who know's how long that will all take, but it certainly would be a neat little setup when it does make it to market.
Regards,
Bryce
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #54
Regular Crew

I've been using 4 trail HD cameras lately with pretty fair results. I wouldn't chance a high end camera left in the bush do to theft or even damaged by an animal. I had a bear pull one camera off a tree with it's jaws and do major damage before the bear dropped it. I have the cameras set for 30 second clips and 1 second interval between clips. I have captured many shots of cougars, wolves, deer, lynxs, foxes and such in the dark that look good on a HD monitor and very usable in projects. Checking these cameras reminds me of my boyhood checking my traps as a kid growing up on the farm.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #55
Trustee

Hey Leon,
Which trail camera's are you using? I have a couple of Bushnell 1080 models. They are ok, but i do see quite a bit of artifacting on clips with lots of movement. Have to agree though, it is great going & checking on them to see what they have captured!
Bryce
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:16 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Hi Bryce

I'm using the Bushnell Trophy Camera w/Viewfinder. The recording format is set at 1920 X1080P. The camera records color during the day and black&white at night. The footage is very clean when well lite. I try to set the cameras up in well lite locations. I would say the night footage is also excellent. The cameras also records the day and time.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:28 PM   #57
Trustee

Thanks Leon,
Yes this is the same one as i am using then. Great cam, i just think i get a little too much artifacting to be able to use any of the footage. Sure is great to see what you get on them though!
Still waiting to get that video, can't wait to be able to sit down & watch it!
Regards,
Bryce
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Hi Bryce

Most of the animals I capture aren't moving fast as they move past the camera so artifacting is not an issue.

I mailed you the DVD the first week in January, it should of arrived by now. Let me know when it arrives, I hope I won't have to track it.

Best,

Leon Lorenz
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:42 PM   #59
Trustee

Thanks Leon,
When i can't get out to film in nature, it sure is nice to be able to watch it at home! Looking forward to seeing it!
As for the cameras & the motion artifacting, i mostly see it in the foliage. Just like you, the images i get of animals are very natural & mostly slow. It is where i have the camera's set up with a lot of trees, grass, etc, etc that i have the problems. Maybe i could try a faster SD card, & see if that helps out at all.
Regards,
Bryce
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #60
Trustee

Hi all,
Well i have been playing around with a Mumford Micro Systems time machine for remotely triggering a Canon HF G10. Battery life on this camera with the largest battery i have is only about 5 hours. I bought a 13Ah 8.4v NiMh battery to power the camera from the AC port. I am currently testing it all out to see what sort of battery life i will get, as theoretically, it will only be a bit more than 24 hours according to the power consumption in the manual. So far, i have had it running in my office for just over 24 hours with just over 100 triggered 30sec long clips from myself & my wife walking by. (ok maybe some of the cat as well) Voltage in the battery after the first 24 hours is still showing just a hair over 8v so it looks better than i had first figured. What i am wondering, is if i can find a 12v charger that will charge this battery, is there any reason anyone can think of why i couldn't use a small (say 10watt) solar panel & 12v charger to maintain charge in the battery while it is hooked up to the camera? If this is possible, i could imagine the battery would at least a couple of days, which is what i am after.
Regards,
Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land