Motion activated recording hardware - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 5th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #76
Major Player

Re: Motion activated recording hardware

Thanks Bryce
The way I understand it when the GH1 is in video mode the remote will start it recording video. It also has a 2.5mm jack but needs a 4 conductor plug. I have been wanting to make a remote cable for it and just need to get the plug. I was wanting to mount it on the tripod handle.
The way you have it programed sounds a lot like the way the old Trailmaster controllers work which is what I was hoping for.
Thanks again and keep us updated how it works out for you.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #77
Major Player

Bringing new life in this old thread.

Would someone know a solution to motion activate video capture with:

- Panasonic GH4

or

- Sony a7s
Old September 20th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #78
Trustee

Groeten Cees,
I have built a motion activated setup using a Canon t2i & a very small sensor & board called the SSII.
With this system, you can program your own picaxe chip to make things work however you like. Essentially you would use a remote shutter release cable for the camera, then write the program to suit.
As an example, the way i set up my system like this, was the following.
When motion was detected, a small pulse of voltage would wake the camera up, then after a short delay that would allow the camera time to wake, a signal is then sent to start recording.
As long as there is movement detected, the camera will continue to record. When no motion has been detected for 30 seconds, the recording is stopped. Once recording has ended, the camera will automatically shut itself off.
If this is something like you are after, let me know & i will post all the details of where to get everything for such a build.
Regards,
Bryce
Old September 21st, 2014, 02:36 AM   #79
Major Player

Hi Bryce,

I will certainly have to find someone to build it for me, but please post the details. Sounds like the solution to my problem, supposing it can be done with other cameras as well.

Bedankt!

Cees
Old September 21st, 2014, 09:24 AM   #80
Trustee

Hoi Cees,
Here you will find the control board with sensor. Trail Camera + Trail Camera Building + Game Camera + Trail Cameras + Camera Trap
Everything you will need for the motion sensor part of the build is on the product page. You will need the SSII board with the white Fresnel lens. (The white Fresnel lens will allow the camera to operate day & night if you have it programmed to do so) While the batteries last a very long time, (not exactly sure as i am still on the first one for the camera i set up 3 months ago!) a couple of spare batteries would be worth adding especially at the minimal price they are. A couple of extra picaxe chips would be good to have as well. Gary at Snapshot sniper will help you out with any questions you might have & may also be able to program the board to work how you want it.
There are other parts you will need to build a set up like this, things like the remote shutter cable, & of course, some sort of box to put it all in. Personally i went with a very sturdy & waterproof electrical box that i am able to lock with a key, & that i have a metal tube running through the back where a cable lock can run through it and secure it to any tree i mount the camera to.
If there is any other information you need, let me know.
Bryce
Old September 22nd, 2014, 01:18 PM   #81
Major Player

Thanks Bryce!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land