My Wildlife documentary on vimeo - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 905
The Narrator Makes a Fine and Effective Contribution

His voice is very expressive and you wouldn't want to replace him. He sounds a lot like one of our best American actors and narrators. Since he is a professional, I think he could easily change his pronunciations of those words. There's no need for him to sound like a native English speaker, nor for the script to be worded in precise colloquial English terms. After all, it's a Turkish production and viewers expect the narration to have some elements and flavors of your culture in it.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #32
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: West Sussex England
Posts: 696
Hi Alkim,

I agree with J Stephen McDonald but I would go furhter and say not to alter the narration at all, without being disrespectful to your filming and editing its the narration that links it altogether which in turn makes it so watchable.

There is a very famous Indian tiger expert who's narration on films he has produced for the BBC is sometimes way off to western ears, but his slow and warm delivery makes captivating viewing.

I have not read any comments in this thread that indicates the writer of it did not understand what was said.

Many english words get pronounced in various ways by the many different races around the world, after all even us English and Americans cannot agree how spell aluminium/aluminum and therefore have different pronunciations.


So I would leave it as it is.

regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Johannesburg South Africa
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
Special note to viewers on Vimeo: I downloaded this video before watching it and was able to see much better picture quality than by viewing it directly on Vimeo.
Steve, (if you get back to this thread)

Having downloaded the movie could you tell me how big the final vimeo file size is? I have limited bandwidth in S.A. and I'm not sure I have enough left to download a large 30 minute video. (Vimeo should really make file sizes available.) Thanks.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #34
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkim Un View Post
I start to send this film to the festivals. but interestingly, when I start to find, I noticed that huge numbers of festivals are present, and I totally lost among them. also it is incredibly big time consuming process !
Hi Alkim: I'm glad to see you're getting so much good feedback on your film...posting to DVinfo is definitely the way to go.

regarding festivals, (and this is a general comment, not specifically directed at your film), they are typically looking for very focused stories, on single species or specific events, not so much on general diversity or general regions. There are so few of these around, and the competition, as you say, is very tough. On the web, we love movies about the general diversity because it is a chance to armchair-travel to parts of the world that we've never seen and visit with species that we don't know about, but for festivals and TV, it is all about a story with a very specific focus that is most warmly received.

I'm wondering if there is a market for educational videos that would be appropriate...for schools, I mean...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #35
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
Steve, (if you get back to this thread)

Having downloaded the movie could you tell me how big the final vimeo file size is? I have limited bandwidth in S.A. and I'm not sure I have enough left to download a large 30 minute video. (Vimeo should really make file sizes available.) Thanks.
Marj, the download from Vimeo for Alkim's video is 168 MB. Its size is 480 X 270 in Quicktime. These specs are shown next to the download button in the lower-right corner of the video's page. If you do a right-click on the download button, then click on Save Target As, you can designate a folder on your computer to save it for future playbacks. If you do a left-click on the button, it will be downloaded and playable only during that visit. Apple users may have to use a different procedure. You have to be registered on Vimeo to do these downloads for the videos of the contributors and not all of them have granted this permission. Thanks to Alkim for making the video available in this way. I always mark my videos on Vimeo as open for downloading, as it's the only way anyone can see them at a quality level close to the original. The download button in the upper-right corner of the window is for a RealPlayer download only. They are so highly-compressed, they're not of much use. By playing the downloaded version of Alkim's video and shifting it to full-screen, using Windows Media Player 11, I can see a widescreen picture that is of fairly good quality, considering that it is from a 480 X 270 source. Other people may want to watch it in the small, standard window, for a sharper picture. If you watch it with a small window directly from Vimeo, the picture quality is good enough, if you don't have the bit-space to download it. I tried playing it with RealPlayer and Miro, but they didn't do as good a job with it and Miro's audio was poor.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #36
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Johannesburg South Africa
Posts: 767
Thanks Steve. Didnít realize the original file size was tucked away down there.

So far I have only watched a couple of videos on Vimeo using their screen and I was bemoaning the fact that there is no indication of the compressed file size anywhere there.

I understand, however, the videos are compressed to about half to one third of the original size - so knowing the original size gives me a rough idea anyway.

I must say Alkim, its quite amazing that you managed to squeeze a 30-minute video down to 165MB. I wonít have a problem with that at all.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #37
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ankara, Turkey
Posts: 136
ok, I dont think to change the narrator, but I respect your comments so they are important for me.

about the mispronounced words I ll ask if we can record again. but also at this stage, it is a little bit late, because we already duplicate more than 10000 copy of dvd. this dvd include both turkish and english version.

meryem,

you are right about festival submissions and what they look for. and this film is a "dependent" doc, and its first aim is increasing public awarennes about environmental and ecological issues. during the scritp and consept stage, we have worked many experts of; rural development, ecology and fauna profs. and also pedgogy. and we also considered the children and youngs during the editing of script. as a conclusion this is a film kind of scetches of that area and meets the educatıonal needs.

another important point is; we produced it for free distrbution. we gave all 10000 copy to the local people in Kars and Ardahan, primary and secondary schools, universities many governmental and non-governmental instutions.

by the way, if I can find a pc and completed the small things of the film, I ll upload much larger version of it so keep watching, and then you can get them.

now I m also uploading the older Target Zero EXtincion Films to vimeo and they are 640x380. after I finished the winter shots of this documentary project I went to İstanbul and produced these 5 films from the same matarials. then turned back to the field and completed the spring and summer shots. during the editing of doc, I try not to use the same material of these short films.

I think they ll be ready tomorrow, because vimeo takes half day to convert them..

anyway,

best regards to all,

alkım.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #38
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ankara, Turkey
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
Thanks Steve. Didnít realize the original file size was tucked away down there.

So far I have only watched a couple of videos on Vimeo using their screen and I was bemoaning the fact that there is no indication of the compressed file size anywhere there.

I understand, however, the videos are compressed to about half to one third of the original size - so knowing the original size gives me a rough idea anyway.

I must say Alkim, its quite amazing that you managed to squeeze a 30-minute video down to 165MB. I wonít have a problem with that at all.
hi marj,

I use compressor inside the FCS 2. set the bitrate about 1000 kbps and resolution is 480x270 or 640x360, thats all,

thanks,
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #39
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ankara, Turkey
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
Marj, the download from Vimeo for Alkim's video is 168 MB. Its size is 480 X 270 in Quicktime. These specs are shown next to the download button in the lower-right corner of the video's page. If you do a right-click on the download button, then click on Save Target As, you can designate a folder on your computer to save it for future playbacks. If you do a left-click on the button, it will be downloaded and playable only during that visit. Apple users may have to use a different procedure. You have to be registered on Vimeo to do these downloads for the videos of the contributors and not all of them have granted this permission. Thanks to Alkim for making the video available in this way. I always mark my videos on Vimeo as open for downloading, as it's the only way anyone can see them at a quality level close to the original. The download button in the upper-right corner of the window is for a RealPlayer download only. They are so highly-compressed, they're not of much use. By playing the downloaded version of Alkim's video and shifting it to full-screen, using Windows Media Player 11, I can see a widescreen picture that is of fairly good quality, considering that it is from a 480 X 270 source. Other people may want to watch it in the small, standard window, for a sharper picture. If you watch it with a small window directly from Vimeo, the picture quality is good enough, if you don't have the bit-space to download it. I tried playing it with RealPlayer and Miro, but they didn't do as good a job with it and Miro's audio was poor.
steve,

I watched your small films on vimeo. your camera is HC9. it is quite good. now I think to buy SR12 because of its 120gb hardisk. and it is nearly identical to HC9. do you have any idea or suggestions,

thanks,

alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #40
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 905
Alkim, thanks for looking at my videos. I have several cassettes full of footage I haven't edited yet, because during this time of good weather, I've been spending my time out in the field. As soon as we have some days of rain, I will have some more finished short videos to put on Vimeo.

I spent a long time considering several camcorder models before I picked the Sony HC9. I wanted to stay with tape, because I've had such good luck with it. My Hi-8 and ED-Beta recordings on metal tape from 19 years ago, are still playing back as good as they ever did.

The Sony SR12 seems to be well-regarded by most people who use it, as you can tell from the remarks on the DV Info forum for that group of models. They say that the image quality is even a bit better than that of the HC9, because the SR12 has a more advanced type of CMOS sensor. The AVCHD/MPEG-4 recording system it uses has a bit-rate of only 16 Mbps, as opposed to 25 Mbps for HDV models, but the AVCHD CoDec seems to be delivering very good performance. You could store about 15 hours of HD video on its harddrive. You could carry a laptop computer with you into the field, to offload the harddrive recordings and even do some editing with it, all on battery power. You need more processing power in your computer to edit AVCHD, but I'm sure you have all you need for that. The SR12 has the best viewscreen that has ever been put on a camcorder, with more than 900,000 pixels. The same viewscreen is used on the Nikon D3 D-SLR camera, which is one of the best of its type. This viewscreen would give you a big advantage in focusing. If you search the HD videos on Vimeo, you could probably find some that were shot with the Sony SR12 or the SR11. Good luck.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #41
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: France
Posts: 152
Hi Alkim

Excellent footage, in fact all are excellent, the film with fox hunting, the music, the comment and the Ehglish.
Really nice picture.

Best regards

Gilles
__________________
Gilles Debord
http://www.wwvideo.tv
Gilles Debord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #42
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ankara, Turkey
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Debord View Post
Hi Alkim

Excellent footage, in fact all are excellent, the film with fox hunting, the music, the comment and the Ehglish.
Really nice picture.

Best regards

Gilles
thanks a lot Gilles,
regards,
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network