FLASH H.264 Underwater Clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 24th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #1
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

FLASH H.264 Underwater Clips

Hi
Been messing around with FLASH H.264 - Full Screen for the web to show some underwater stuff and here is what I came up with using a dynamic FLASH menu. You need the latest flash player to watch them.

H.264 CBR 1.5mbps so you may need to let them buffer abit if you have a slow connection.
HDV Underwater

I'm building a 4T external video bay as we have just way to much stuff laying around on tapes to edit, so we should get lots of clips up there over time.

Cheers.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

That looks very nice! I'm trying to set something like this up myself, maybe you could help?

What application are you using to compress your video? Compressor?

Also, how did you get that nice box off to the right of the video where you can scroll through it and select which video you would like to watch? That would be a very nice addition to the site that I'm working on!

Roughly how long would you say your encodes take? I found a very high-quality group of settings that I use to encode video in compressor at a fairly low bit-rate, but it takes at least 10 hours, if not more for a 10 minute video!

Thanks for your help!

As far as your implementation of it, I really enjoyed what the set-up! The video looked very good in the small window. There were some compression artifacts when viewing it full screen, but there just isn't really anyway around that now is there? I did notice that the video was flickering on occasion (there would be the equivalent of a black frame every once in awhile). Is this from the video or does it have to do with the way it's streamed? The only other thing that really bugged me was the flash player. I think that the play/pause button is the opposite of every other flash player I've seen. For your player, when the video is playing, the play/pause button shows the play symbol when I would expect it to show the pause symbol. That would make more sense to me, although I still understood how the buttons functioned, so it's up to you what you think about that.

Anyway, I enjoyed it! Great work!
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Glenn, One option for something like that is the JW FLV player. Easy to customize and works great. I wrote a wordpress plugin for it to make it easy to post videos if you use a wordpress blog.
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice video Paul. You guys should check out his site.....lots of great info.
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Encoding open underwater is very hard on any encoder.
Apply those same specs to some up top material and it will look great even at full screen.

I'm using a free open source encoder called Mediacoder.
On a standard setting a 1280/720 H.264 clip gets encoded out faster than real time on my 3.2ghz QUAD PC here and it maxes out all 4 cores while doing it. For those clips it was running about half realtime using a CBR of 1.5mbps. I'm encoding them from 1440/1080 Canopus HQ files.

The player is a second version I'm still working on and you can get an idea from Adobes website on how to put them together in FLASH using AS3 or AS2.

As to why they missed abit while playing...maybe the server was busy with traffic. I do find they take abit more effort to play than vp6 flv ones. Maybe in a few years as the net gets faster we can have 2 or 3mbps sizes playing back in realtime at full screen.

Thanks for looking and I will see if I can make the interface abit better.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land