Underwater cmos video camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Underwater cmos video camera

Has anybody had any experience shooting underwater with a cmos video camera??? I just had my pd170 stolen and am going to upgrade to a HD camera to be used for underwater. Just wondering if the video camera would have any unique problems working with this type of sensor compared to the ccd sensor

Ken Johnson
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I've used a Canon HV10 with great results. No unique problems that I am aware of.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm happy with my Sony HDR-HC1...
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Major Player

No problems here with an Sony FX7.

Some of my UW videos can be seen on vimeo:

The Undersea World in HD on Vimeo
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Although is is said charge coupled devices render better, I have seen plenty of stunning CMOS chip underwater video, and Ron's is a perfect example.
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chau View Post
No problems here with an Sony FX7.

Some of my UW videos can be seen on vimeo:

The Undersea World in HD on Vimeo
Hi Ron,

incredible! How didyou manage to get this vivid and realistic colors? Filter? White balance?
Sascha Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Major Player

HI Sascha,

Yes, underwater filter and manual white balance. The filter is a standard accessory for UW shooting and most housings come with it. Manual white balance is less common, but worth getting. Thanks, glad you liked my videos.

Ron
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Major Player

This was all shot with a Sony HC1 too (I have a whole underwater setup with this camera for sale too),

ginclearfilm - Services

Other stuff on the site is with a Canon XHA1,

I agree with Ron regarding manual white balance... HDV doesn't hold up super well to extensive colour correction
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Canon HV30 Underwater.

I love this little camera.
This is a promo I shot for the Dive Company in Egypt. Topside AND underwater footage alll shot with the small, single CMOS Canon.

Red Sea Scuba Diving Project with the HV30 on Vimeo
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

How did you manage with the flipped image?
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #11
Major Player

I have an Ikelite housing for my HC1. It has a small widget hooked into the LANC port such that when a switch is closed, the LCD image is mirrored. I find the flip-out mirror a bit small, though, especially compared to my old Light and Motion housing.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:56 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Davies View Post
How did you manage with the flipped image?
Hello Andrew. ABISMALLY, would be the answer to that. In fact, even if it HADN'T been flipped, I would have struggled to see it. I simply used the eye-piece, which is quite good.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #13
New Boot

CMOS system underwater

Ken (I posted this back on Mar 2nd, but didn't show up?)
so cut pasted and reposted hope it gets to you.

I've been shooting uw since 1986, now on 5th set. I have many hours uw with these CMOS sony cameras. HDR-HC1 and HVR-A1U. They provide a great HDV image in reasonable low light situations. They are basically identical, same CMOS etc . A1U has two pro features 1 assign button, I assign to white balance. the other is balanced XLR mic and jacks. Both use same GATES housing. A1U is about $1K more, still available. Was the "2nd camera" of choice by Hollywood year it came out. Great image, small, mounted on cars, heads, so far a rugged unit, just watch moisture around it.

You can find HC1 on ebay. The only negative and this is small issue, you must take camera off uw housing mounting bracket to change batteries...same for change of tape, which tape normally ends before battery. Dream world top loading ...hint Sony if anyone is listing same problem when mounted to tripod mount. Here are a few other insights.

1. very small form factor, weight really adds up if you go up to larger form factor like the Sony FX1 and newer versions. A1U+Housing+6hr battery, no lights is 26 lbs, in water even with buoyancy factor of housing still about 10 negative. With today’s flying regs and fees for weight this too is worth mention.

2. smaller size makes for much easier getting into places and really makes a difference the wall you push through water.

3. cost of everything, camear, housing, batteries, goes up dramatically for the 3CMOS versions

If you do go to one of the newer tapeless CMOS system, I would like to hear about your experience. Good luck and safe diving.
George Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Tourist

Cmos

Yes, camcorders using CMOS are really worth buying. After using a Sony HDR-HC7 a couple of times, being filming in Corsica and Sudan underwater I can also recommend this type which is very often underrated to my point of view. Still I have to admit that you have do some colorcorrection and you have to push the contrast and reduce the brightness in post-pro. I did a video about the wreck UMBRIA and the conditions were not the best to film. Have a look and judge for yourself what the HC7 can produce.
www.marinevideo.eu - The UMBRIA - the legendary wreck of Sudan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land