Anyone using Sony EX3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using Sony EX3?

I would be interested in hearing of user experiences of using the EX3 for wildlife. Pros and cons.

Thanks

Andy
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi
I do not have that much experience with that camera yet but I think it make great pictures that mach my panasonic HVX 2100 camera well - special the overcrank funktion makes it possible to make great movies of flying birds.
Right now I use a standard 2/3" lens on an adapter and it does not make quite sharp HD pictures when the extender is used. I just orderd the ex3 to nikon converter - hope this will work great. How I should make a suport for my bigger Nikon and sigma tele lenses I do not know - hope this will come to work.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Bo....any chance of some sample footage ? I'm interested in the cams performance too!?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

EX3 Sample footage

Here is a link to some quick slo mo and fast motion I did with this camera almost 2 months ago (just with the stock lense so far). Very pleased with it's performance - the Vimeo Flash encoding does not really do it justice but it might be of interest for you.

Ely in August HD (Sony EX3 Timelapse) - The Digital Video Information Network
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There was a discussion on the Sony Cinealta forum concerning the "jello" look on fast pans because of the rolling shutter. Has anyone experienced this?
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #6
Major Player

I recently shot some video with a prime lens attached. Tried it out as well with just the standard lens attached.

Overall, besides the lens, it seems very similar to EX1 in terms of the quality of video. It obviously can interchange lenses and has a lot more inputs/outputs.

Nice camera, but I really did feel like it was simply a nice upgrade to the EX1.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

What was your assessment of the quality of pans? Did you see the "jello" look caused by the rolling shutter?
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #8
Major Player

I have not noticed yet - guess I just use the camera in ways that do not make it visible :
http://ms1.tvmidtvest.dk/natur/video/Rovterne.wmv
This was the only chance I got to make the dive of this bird - it is not optimal but it give an idear of what you can use the camera for.

Last edited by Bo Skelmose; October 8th, 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Bo,

This is the exact footage I was wanting to see, very fine.

I am very curious what your frames per second and exposures were to get this.

could you give us the technical information on the shot please.

Curiously what would a canon/nikon adapter for the lenses cost??
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #10
Major Player

I used 720 25p overcranked to 60 fps - some say its only 50 fps when in 25p, but the framerate can be dialed from 25 p to 60 p.
I have learned one thing since I made this shot - the camera can very easy blow out in the white so you have to set the gamma knee manually - a level at 85 - 90 and a slope of maybe 50. You can find more discussion about that on ex1-3 side of this forum. It is a great camera to film birds flying - shots you could not use before is suddenly steady and long enough to be used because of the superslow it can produce.
Just paid £358.38 GBP for a EX3-nikon converter inclusive delivery from mike tapa - it should arrive today or tommorow - i'll let you know how it works. On the bigger cameras I use a Canon 11x33 SD lens and it is okay in HD when the extender is not used - it will be very interesting for me to se if a Nikon/Sigma tele lens can do the job better at a much lower price. The use of the Nikon macro lenses is also a grest thing. The adapter will make a 5x magnification so I can hardly wait to get it.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I agree with Dale that's it's the sort of footage you want to see as it's a white/contrasty bird, lots of movement/panning, wings flapping (nicely done too).BUT I would caution anyone against making any decisions based on web viewing!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #12
Major Player

Just got the EX3-Nikon adapter and i must say that this is a new world opening to me. I have used ENG broadcast lenses for years and they are absolutely the best when you have to zoom-focus and turn iris at the same time. But if you can live with a full manual lens where focussing is the other way on the lensbody then I must say that my Nikon and Sigma lenses produce very crispy and colourfull pictures in HD. My nikon 200mm macro lens is almost a microscope and the 120-300mm 2,8 Sigma lens does the job better than the 10 times more expensive 11x33 Canon broadcast lens.
Now I just have to buy a lens support because the stativ mount on the camera can hardly hold the camera itself.
Yes you cannot choose the Sony EX3 because of a film on the web - the movies it can produce is far way better than can be shown in a streaming video.
----Bo
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Bo, with regard to lens supports, don't assume that you have to buy off-the-shelf. It's perfectly possible (and often better) to get a machine shop to make a plate for you, they're quite simple.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Bo,

I'll be receiving Mike Tapa's adapter in the next day or so. I'm planning on using some long Nikon teles--300 f/4 and 500 f/4. I'm still researching a proper tripod mount system for all this. Wondering if I need to start with the Sony plate or look for something else.

Steve Harryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Just got the EX3-Nikon adapter and i must say that this is a new world opening to me. I have used ENG broadcast lenses for years and they are absolutely the best when you have to zoom-focus and turn iris at the same time. But if you can live with a full manual lens where focussing is the other way on the lensbody then I must say that my Nikon and Sigma lenses produce very crispy and colourfull pictures in HD. My nikon 200mm macro lens is almost a microscope and the 120-300mm 2,8 Sigma lens does the job better than the 10 times more expensive 11x33 Canon broadcast lens.
Now I just have to buy a lens support because the stativ mount on the camera can hardly hold the camera itself.
Yes you cannot choose the Sony EX3 because of a film on the web - the movies it can produce is far way better than can be shown in a streaming video.
----Bo
Steve Harryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Steve, personally I'd stay as far from the Sony plate as possible, they've always been awful for long lens work.
Just get a plate made up by an engineer, something like 2" wide, 1/4" thick and 15" long aluminium. Needs a countersunk hole underneath for attaching to camera base (ideally with a lip somewhere to stop it twisting), then a groove up front with a captive bolt in it to hold the lens foot. Then you can get spacers made for the lens feet of different lenses. Much more secure than anything off the shelf. See pics.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using Sony EX3?-img_5349.jpg   Anyone using Sony EX3?-img_5350.jpg  

Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land